Aluminum wire

Occupation
Electrician
Where does it say in code book how to apply Noalox? If it was 1965 and the inspector told me to put it on? Can't find it. Though it said you had to wire brush it first... Please help

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The NEC basically is not a "how to" guide. As far as I know, the only reference to a compound is in 110.14
Here is a UTube video on the subject.

garbo

Have heard at continuing education classes that anti oxide paste is not mandatory on aluminum conductors but I always use it. I have a steel brush that I only use to get the paste deep into strands and keep it in a heavy freezer bag to keep it clean. On 100 amp breakers that have tiny flimsy short screws I remove the screws and apply a thin layer of paste on threads to prevent screws from seizing up especially in damp locations.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Where in the code book was this required?
The code does not need to spell out every best practice you need to use, it just says you need to perform a workman like install, and unlike what most electricians believe its not up to the AHJ to inspect this.

It is up to the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) to approve all the wire and cable products and installation methods. For new construction work the AHJ is your town or the towns inspection company.
AHJ can also be the insurance company, the owners rep/engineer or a utility if your working on service equipment like a meter socket. There are also the 'engineers specifications' on larger jobs.
Keep in mind once a construction inspector grants approval they are absolved of all responsibility, and you the licensed contractor continue to be responsible having used best practices in perpetuity.

NECA (IBEW) standards are the prima facie standard of a "workman like" installation, 110.12 is not often used by construction site inspectors but it is used all the time by forensic experts in a courtroom during the process of subrogation. NECA requires it for AL terminations. When there is an electrical fire or incident such as a injury or fatality things go to court, and I have unfortunately been thru this, they don't point to one thing you did wrong, they pick apart every nut bolt and screw, every decision you made to make a preponderance of the evidence making you (or your insurance carrier) liable.
In short dont look at the code to tell you what to do, look at the code as the minimum you need to pass like a D- in school.

Occupation
Electrician
The code does not need to spell out every best practice you need to use, it just says you need to perform a workman like install, and unlike what most electricians believe its not up to the AHJ to inspect this.

It is up to the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) to approve all the wire and cable products and installation methods. For new construction work the AHJ is your town or the towns inspection company.
AHJ can also be the insurance company, the owners rep/engineer or a utility if your working on service equipment like a meter socket. There are also the 'engineers specifications' on larger jobs.
Keep in mind once a construction inspector grants approval they are absolved of all responsibility, and you the licensed contractor continue to be responsible having used best practices in perpetuity.

NECA (IBEW) standards are the prima facie standard of a "workman like" installation, 110.12 is not often used by construction site inspectors but it is used all the time by forensic experts in a courtroom during the process of subrogation. NECA requires it for AL terminations. When there is an electrical fire or incident such as a injury or fatality things go to court, and I have unfortunately been thru this, they don't point to one thing you did wrong, they pick apart every nut bolt and screw, every decision you made to make a preponderance of the evidence making you (or your insurance carrier) liable.
In short dont look at the code to tell you what to do, look at the code as the minimum you need to pass like a D- in school.
What ever this means?

people on here are so insanely in love with themselves. even the guy who create this forum knows it is actually against code to use this. Just because you think you should for no reason dosen't make it right. Noalox is for aluminum oxidation. Its no aluminum. So why would you use it. Whatever. All the typing you just did made me dumber. I almost want to stop even buying stuff form Mikeholt.com anymore. Wonder if he overlooks the ego freaks on here.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok, the bottom line is the NEC nor wire manufacturers require its use, if someone chooses to use it how they apply it is up to them.

See what Encore said in the first post in this thread

kwired

Electron manager
What ever this means?

people on here are so insanely in love with themselves. even the guy who create this forum knows it is actually against code to use this. Just because you think you should for no reason dosen't make it right. Noalox is for aluminum oxidation. Its no aluminum. So why would you use it. Whatever. All the typing you just did made me dumber. I almost want to stop even buying stuff form Mikeholt.com anymore. Wonder if he overlooks the ego freaks on here.
The aluminum alloys used in most conductors for the past 30-40 years do not require oxidation protection compounds to be used.

That doesn't mean it is prohibited to use it.

Instructions OP is looking for would really be located in the documents for the product being used

Occupation
Electrician
The aluminum alloys used in most conductors for the past 30-40 years do not require oxidation protection compounds to be used.

That doesn't mean it is prohibited to use it.

Instructions OP is looking for would really be located in the documents for the product being used
It is prohibited to use it the way people use it. they dip it then just screw it down. 110.3b says you have to use it like the bottle says to use it. if you don't you are violating the code. period. clean.. wire brush. read the bottle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you have such a problem with the contributors of this forum then why bother to participate?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is prohibited to use it the way people use it. they dip it then just screw it down. 110.3b says you have to use it like the bottle says to use it. if you don't you are violating the code. period. clean.. wire brush. read the bottle.
So the solution would be to not use it.

kwired

Electron manager
Most "wire nuts" instructions don't require pre twisting conductors yet there are some that are pretty anal about doing so.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
If you have such a problem with the contributors of this forum then why bother to participate?
(y) Most of us make mistakes. Others here are very prompt at correcting those. When it is said and done, the expertise here can't be found anywhere else. I don't get his animosity either. In the same post he made a false statement himself. "even the guy who create this forum knows it is actually against code to use this." Even Mr. Holt has made a mistake or two.