3 conductors under zip tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

I thought it was a nice job also, I'm not a big fan of those blue plastic boxes but I love the support at the end of the box, I'm always getting questioned about it, but I tell the inspector I'll just install a madison strap after sheetrock, can anyone tell me what code art this is required?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
stickboy1375 said:
sorry George hope you don't hate me...:)
I was thinking the same for you.
beerchug.gif

stickboy said:
the only problem I see with your pics is the wires run behind the boxes, I highly doubt you make your 1 1/4 spacing, and I see no nail plates...
Larry Fine said:
No nail plates, true, but it would look funny having plates hang off to one side of a stud. The inspector liked it overall. In fact, we were the only trade on the job that passed any and every inspection on the first request.
The interesting thing is that the cables entering the back of the boxes are also in violation of 300.4, with Carlons as well as Allieds and every other brand.

According to a Q&A sheet from Carlon, they are under the belief that the reason they are allowed to manufacture their boxes that way is because the heights we install switches and receptacles are not normal locations for people to drive nails to hang pictures, so they are not "where screws are likely to penetrate." Definutely a odd spin, IMO.

So if the box entrances are legal, then I reckon the cables behind the boxes are equally as legal. :D

stickboy said:
...can anyone tell me what code art this is required?
110.3(B) would be the closest - if the instructions require support on both sides of the box, then it's required. More than likely, they are optional for an extra secure installation.

stickboy said:
...I tell the inspector I'll just install a madison strap after sheetrock...
How would you pull that off? :D

stickboy1375

Our inspectors are lets say "Relaxed" out here... Not sure how things work where everyone else lives/works, but we only have 1 inspector per area, usually covering 1-3 towns, that will inspect every trade, so you really get to know the inspectors well, and basically in a nutshell they trust us... :)

stickboy1375

According to a Q&A sheet from Carlon, they are under the belief that the reason they are allowed to manufacture their boxes that way is because the heights we install switches and receptacles are not normal locations for people to drive nails to hang pictures, so they are not "where screws are likely to penetrate."

So can i use this box for anything other than a switch or receptacle? :)

allenwayne

Well you can use a single gang box to support a wall fixture up to 6 lbs......

As far as the way the wires enter a box I have had inspectors remark that the way they enter doesn`t allow it to conforn to 300.4 D, I just shrug and say hey they are listed to be used like that.But have never been tagged for it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
. . . I love the support at the end of the box . . .
The way I see it, that nail/screw tab is only there for use when the original nails can't be used, such as with metal studs. The plastic 4" squares, as well as several other boxes and LV rings, come the same way; with nails on one side and a screw-tab on the other.

The tab will function to prevent the devices from pulling the box out of the wall surface, so Madisons aren't necessary: the wall will be clamped between the box and the last device. Besides, unless you cut off the tab, there's no way to get a Madison into the wall.

stickboy1375

LarryFine said:
Besides, unless you cut off the tab, there's no way to get a Madison into the wall.

I should have mentioned I only use fiberglass boxes, they don't have a tab nor come with hardware to support the box, IMO its ridiculous for me to waste time building something when I can just insert a madison strap after Sheetrock...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The problem I've had with fiberglass boxes (the light-brown ones, right?) is that they disintegrate too easily; I've had them split right through the device-mounting holes. Plus, the holes themselves strip too easily, requiring larger-diameter screws, which leads to more splitting, etc.

stickboy1375

Nope I don't use the brown ones, only allied molded...
home_image_switch1.gif

Never have a problem with these, except for the RARE occasion with a miss of a hammer...:) but much nicer box, IMO... the sheet rockers love them also because of the rigidness, the rotozip goes right around them...

Status
Not open for further replies.