3 Way Switches and Voltage Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Can't say. Distance is the length of wire. Your 3-ways could be in opposing corners and the panel could be in a third. Changes in elevation also count. You could end up with a 250' circuit in a 60' x 100' building.

Does the VD change if drop off the Hots are dropped off at the 1st 3way instead bringing them all the way to the end like in your excel example ?
I don't have an excel calculator like that.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Does the VD change if drop off the Hots are dropped off at the 1st 3way instead bringing them all the way to the end like in your excel example ?
I don't have an excel calculator like that.
There are no 3-ways in my Excel diagram. If there were all they would do is switch the line on and off. The line side of the circuit still has to run to the other end.

Also note my Excel diagram did not make any consideration for the em' lights being powered by separate line conductor.

kwired

Electron manager
So in my situation, exactly how far would that be? considering a 60' wide 100' long building (5) Bays 20' wide, with a 3 way on each end of the 100',and 20 fixtures (4) in each of the 5 bays?
Three way/ single pole doesn't matter. Either way you have one conductor carrying current out to the furthest switch point, and another one returning (in a three way it is one of two possible conductors for the traveler but only one traveler carries current at any given time) total conductor length that will have voltage drop across it is the length of the run times the two conductors in the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.