45 KVA transformer max amperage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from - A.S. Tanenbaum :D

Nice use of Google and Wiki, however a closer look would indicate that the quote originally did not come from him, but from someone else. The use presented here is actually out of context because it related to the manufacturing of computers and the way in which things had been standardized.

However, touche for "Andy" as he was well respected, and heavily involved with IEEE; which consequently is now heavily associated with ANSI standards. ANSI is also the sister organization to IEC, and IEC and ANSI/IEEE are becoming more aligned with each revision.

So standards rule!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

mivey

a closer look would indicate that the quote originally did not come from him, but from someone else
Opinion. Some are enamored with certain individuals, some are not. Age does not matter as she could have just as easily heard it from him first as it was a relatively small peer group back then. If we look at who was published, then Andy is the source. They were all around at that time so he would have cited her if he felt it was appropriate.

The use presented here is actually out of context because it related to the manufacturing of computers and the way in which things had been standardized.
Yada, yada, yada. The quote was precisely in context as I meant it. Since when did quotes have to match the exact time, place, circumstance, etc. of when they were born?

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Yada, yada, yada. The quote was precisely in context as I meant it. Since when did quotes have to match the exact time, place, circumstance, etc. of when they were born?

That is called quote mining and it is a way in which individuals often try to support a weak position by taking a quote out of context from a person deemed to have authority on a subject by misrepresenting that authority as supporting their own position.:p

Often done by politicians and evolutionists.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That is called quote mining and it is a way in which individuals often try to support a weak position by taking a quote out of context from a person deemed to have authority on a subject by misrepresenting that authority as supporting their own position.:p

Reminds me of Star Trek Into Darkness scene:

James T. Kirk: The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Spock: An Arabic proverb attributed to a prince who was betrayed and decapitated by his own subjects.
James T. Kirk: Well, still, it's a hell of a quote.

mivey

Well now, ain't this special.

I must side with iwire that engineers can indeed be a pain. My disclaimer for the following is that the devil made me do it (and I'm bored at the moment), so before my electrician side takes over:

That is called quote mining and it is a way in which individuals often try to support a weak position
If you say so, but projection is what I am sensing. Evidently my siding with Bob & Don against you hurt your feelings so much that you felt the need to project :D

by taking a quote out of context from a person deemed to have authority on a subject by misrepresenting that authority as supporting their own position
If that's the way you have to get it done, fine by me. As for myself, I have enough experience and expertise to feel comfortable with my own positions and feel free to quote others as I see it fits my needs. If you feel uncomfortable freely using other's quotes because you fear someone might not like it, I understand.

I'll take your word for it as that is not my area of expertise.

As for the non-Tom-foolery portion of the conversation: It has long been a practice, and still is a practice to use "LG/LL" nomenclature when referring to 3-phase applications. Even C84.1 used to do that very thing. At one time C84.1 even used both for 3-phase voltages ("LL/LG" for commercial/industrial voltages and "LG/LL" for utility voltages).

Beyond that, C84.1 is only one standard and it is only a voluntary standard at that. While it can be a good reference, it is not followed by everyone. So as I quoted before:

The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from - A.S. Tanenbaum

mivey

Reminds me of Star Trek Into Darkness scene:

James T. Kirk: The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Spock: An Arabic proverb attributed to a prince who was betrayed and decapitated by his own subjects.
James T. Kirk: Well, still, it's a hell of a quote.
Kirk's da man!:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.