480/277 3 phase

chgeiger

Occupation
Electrican
On a 480/277 400 amp 3 phase service.
Do you need to bond the neutral to ground inside the current transformer box?
The neutral bar only has space for one wire.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It must be bonded, yes. Some POCOs do not allow bonding to the neutral, but through an EGC.

Either way, a single lug space is easy to work with.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
On a 480/277 400 amp 3 phase service.
Do you need to bond the neutral to ground inside the current transformer box?
The neutral bar only has space for one wire.
As others have stated, you must either bond the neutral to the enclosure or run a SSBJ. The bottom line is all metallic items must be bonded on the supply side of a service disconnect in compliance with 250.92. It is critically important for fire and shock hazards.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
One way or another, the transformer enclosure must be held to 0V relative to ground.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One way or another, the transformer enclosure must be held to 0V relative to ground.
While you can try to do that, it does not happen.
The connection to earth does not lower the voltage to earth as measured from the equipment. The connection only raises a small area of the earth around the grounding electrode to that of the equipment. If you are on top of the electrode or very close to it, the voltage to earth from the equipment will be zero. As soon as you move away from the electrode, there will almost always be some voltage, and in the case of neutral issues on the service conductor or the utility primary, this voltage can be hazardous.

kwired

Electron manager
Why would a CT enclosure only have one terminal for grounded conductor?

You likely have incoming and outgoing conductors in nearly all instances.

I could possibly understand a lay in lug and a single grounded conductor that passes unbroken through that lug, but around here often the POCO runs whatever they run for the supply side and the owner or his contractor runs whatever the load side may require per NEC. And with CT metering is usually large enough capacity there is multiple conductors per phase as well as multiple neutral conductors.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
How would bonding prevent a fire or shock since there is nothing upstream to trip?

Transformers may have overcurrent devices.
Also the damage from a fault will get noticed and dealt with, thus preventing unknown shock hazard. ;) I agree that preventing fires is probably not a reliable benefit.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Transformers may have overcurrent devices.
Also the damage from a fault will get noticed and dealt with, thus preventing unknown shock hazard. ;) I agree that preventing fires is probably not a reliable benefit.
Most do, whether it’s in a jack at the pole for a pole mount, or built in fuse holder in a pad mount. Usually over fused, but on a short circuit, usually doesn’t make much difference, it will still blow.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Most do, whether it’s in a jack at the pole for a pole mount, or built in fuse holder in a pad mount. Usually over fused, but on a short circuit, usually doesn’t make much difference, it will still blow.
I have watched more than once service conductors being vaporized without the transformer primary fuse opening. In one case it was not only the service conductors, but the 4" RMC that contained the service conductors.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have watched more than once service conductors being vaporized without the transformer primary fuse opening. In one case it was not only the service conductors, but the 4" RMC that contained the service conductors.
That is usually an arcing fault, along with poco overfusing the transformer to a point where it will destroy itself before it blows. I replaced a 4000 amp 480 volt feed where lightning struck the transformer, poco threw in larger fuses, turned it back on. 30 minutes later, the lateral was burned off down to ground level before it blew the fuses. That is why ground fault protection is used on large 480 volt systems.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That is usually an arcing fault, along with poco overfusing the transformer to a point where it will destroy itself before it blows. I replaced a 4000 amp 480 volt feed where lightning struck the transformer, poco threw in larger fuses, turned it back on. 30 minutes later, the lateral was burned off down to ground level before it blew the fuses. That is why ground fault protection is used on large 480 volt systems.
The utilities around here do not size to protect the transformer...they only size to prevent a transformer or secondary conductor fault from taking out the next up stream OCPD.

kwired

Electron manager
The utilities around here do not size to protect the transformer...they only size to prevent a transformer or secondary conductor fault from taking out the next up stream OCPD.
larger number of customers served the more likely that may be how they do it.

I've seen enough blown primary fuses on the rural systems around here to convince me they are at least somewhat considering the transformer. Have had to set up starting delays of multiple motors in some cases to prevent blowing primary fuses, if they didn't care about protecting the transformer I'm pretty sure they could put in higher rated fuses and I wouldn't need to set up those delays.