480/277V Rated Breakers on a Delta System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It may be incomplete but it is not inaccurate, based on my stated premise of a quick and very simple answer.

We have taken a topic that should have been addressed in maybe 4 or 5 postings and stretched it to +40 posts. It it reasons like this that inexperienced posters rarely come back back into the discussion.
The OP appears to be building a piece of equipment that will be used in commercial or light industrial applications. I would hazard a guess that the odds are 1 in a million that one will be installed on a 480/240 3-phase 4wire center tapped delta.
Again, the very simply answer: if the design uses slash-rated breakers the instructions should call for a wye supply system, with a note to contact tech support for other voltage systems. If the equipment must work on any possible system, slash-rated breakers should not be used.
That's your opinion. There is no debate on that. :bye:

iwire

Staff member
We have taken a topic that should have been addressed in maybe 4 or 5 postings and stretched it to +40 posts. It it reasons like this that inexperienced posters rarely come back back into the discussion.

:thumbsup:

It happens time and time again IMO often due to people's need to grandstand.

kwired

Electron manager
It may be incomplete but it is not inaccurate, based on my stated premise of a quick and very simple answer.

The OP appears to be building a piece of equipment that will be used in commercial or light industrial applications. I would hazard a guess that the odds are 1 in a million that one will be installed on a 480/240 3-phase 4wire center tapped delta.
Again, the very simply answer: if the design uses slash-rated breakers the instructions should call for a wye supply system, with a note to contact tech support for other voltage systems. If the equipment must work on any possible system, slash-rated breakers should not be used.
The odds maybe are a little higher though that is gets installed on a corner ground system or maybe even an ungrounded system.

One of reasons for OP's question may be to save some cost by purchasing a particular breaker, but at same time he may want to consider if that decision will effect how many of the units sold will have other issues depending on the type of system they are supplied from. One solution to allow more flexibility in application may be to use 600 volt rated devices even if they will cost a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.