480 Delta or maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie

Doesn't the POCO run the system neutral/EGC to the service equipment for grounding even if the secondary system itself is not bonded?
No, we run the system multi-grounded neutral (MGN) to the service point if it is a grounded system. If it is an ungrounded system, you are not supposed to get the MGN. The MGN is not a grounding electrode and is not normally provided on an ungrounded system. Besides, it would be of no value to provide it to the building since it is not a current return path. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No, we run the system multi-grounded neutral (MGN) to the service point if it is a grounded system. If it is an ungrounded system, you are not supposed to get the MGN. The MGN is not a grounding electrode and is not normally provided on an ungrounded system. Besides, it would be of no value to provide it to the building since it is not a current return path. :)
Makes sense. I haven't done an ungrounded service myself.

I simply envision wanting my local EGC/GEC system bonded to the POCO's MGN.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When you do that you energize your grounding system with a voltage that is equal to the voltage drop on the utility MGM.
We use it for normally-grounded system neutrals and grounds. I would think the MGN is the de facto standard of zero system volts.

charlie

. . . I would think the MGN is the de facto standard of zero system volts.
Sorry, this is not so. The MGN is just that and nothing more. It is a current carrying conductor that is normally common with the primary and secondary conductors. It carries the maximum unbalance current back to the substation unless it takes the more direct, through the earth, path. In other words, it has a lot of voltage drop and is kept close to earth potential through multiple ground connections. If you measure from the MGN to earth at any point, you may read a multitude of voltages that may change over time. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.