480Y 277 delta motor wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Have they been making these for awhile? I don't know the age of this thing but it isn't new and the controls are so minimal as to not match what I have seen on newer Italian equipment. Dang Jraef, how
did you learn all this stuff? You have seen a lot for sure. I have seen a fair amount myself but I can't seem to retain it nearly as well as you do!:dunce:
As my wife puts it, I'm a fountain of useless information...
How did I learn all this? One mistake at a time. I did a lot of machine rebuilding and connection work over the years, and for about 10 years I worked for a company where we rebuilt a lot of European equipment to bring it up to UL standards so it could be installed here. I've run into a LOT of what initially looks like weird stuff, but when you see it over and over, the pieces start to fall together.

From the picture of your nameplate, that's exactly what I described earlier; it lists 277V but in reality, you can only connect it to 480V 60Hz here. Newer versions of those IEC motors no longer say the 277V part, they just put it in the manual that you CANNOT reconfigure the motor connections for 230V.

kwired

Electron manager
That's a star connection disguised as a triangle.
I agree, and also see the connection to the neutral to be somewhat pointless. Typical 9 lead dual voltage motors are the same thing when connected to "high" voltage except they float the neutral - but unless something is wrong current is balanced and no connection to the neutral is needed.

View attachment 12965
One of the guys I work with had a pic of the plate and he sent it to me. An oddball it appears to be but here it is.
Still looks to me like what most have been suggesting - connect the motor windings in a wye configuration and the input volts needs to be 480 volts, connect them in a delta configuration input volts needs to be 277 volts, though that would not be a standardized voltage system to have three phases @ 277 volts from each other making this unusable at that voltage without some non standardized supply equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.