5 conductor 4wire plus ground/messenger needed overhead building feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
What about tray cable, lashed to a messenger? If it's sunlight resistant is there a problem, or are we back to the listsings issue (type TC is only listed for use in tray )

Nice idea! As long as you use multi listed tray cable with sunlight resistance. I've used some before that was also underground listed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What about tray cable, lashed to a messenger? If it's sunlight resistant is there a problem, or are we back to the listsings issue (type TC is only listed for use in tray )

Nice idea! As long as you use multi listed tray cable with sunlight resistance. I've used some before that was also underground listed.
I don't think I have ever installed any tray cable that was not sunlight resistant and rated for direct burial.
336.10(4) specifically permits TC to be used on a messenger wire as does Table 396.10(A).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't think I have ever installed any tray cable that was not sunlight resistant and rated for direct burial.
336.10(4) specifically permits TC to be used on a messenger wire as does Table 396.10(A).

If he's trying to get away from using a messenger wire, what about using an Article 400 [extra?] hard usage cord... would it need a messenger wire?

Keep in mind that a steel messenger wire is desirable for long spans. I don't believe OP specified the span distance(s).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If he's trying to get away from using a messenger wire, what about using an Article 400 [extra?] hard usage cord... would it need a messenger wire?
I don't see this application as a permitted use as shown in 400.7, but I also don't see it as a prohibited use in 400.8

Keep in mind that a steel messenger wire is desirable for long spans. I don't believe OP specified the span distance(s).
There was no span distance specified, but unless the span is very short, there will have to be supports between the two structures.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't see this application as a permitted use as shown in 400.7, but I also don't see it as a prohibited use in 400.8
So he clearly cannot and can, respectively... :blink:

There was no span distance specified, but unless the span is very short, there will have to be supports between the two structures.
"Very short" is quite vague. There doesn't appear to be any way to determine the maximum distance between supports under the NEC.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Underground is not a option. Im thinking muticonductor MC or service entrance cable. That transformer idea is quite creative. What a great forum.

May I ask why underground is not an option? And since we are talking silos here, do we need Class 2 equipment?

spedobill

and the final pre-inspection answer IS

and the final pre-inspection answer IS

I like Cow's idea on a transformer. That got me thinking............With 480v 3p available....I'm going to run a 3phase 480v 3wire overhead feeder, using messenger as a equipment ground.......tri-plex should work.....i'm hoping a unaltered multiwire overhead assembly will fly. Drop it down to a 480v disconnect.......thru a transformer.......into a 250v service disconnect and feed my panel.

My main issue with this project was finding a 5 conductor overhead wire assembly.
I thank you all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.