50Hz Vs 60Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 vs 60 110 vs 220

50 vs 60 110 vs 220

Of a practical nature, most 50Hz equipment will work as well on 60Hz unless rotation speed is critical (older phonographs for example). Most 60 Hz equipment will work on 50Hz unless it is operating near its heat limit or rotation speed is critical.

60 Hz is well above the "flicker" level, but 50Hz is almost as good.
60Hz uses less iron in inductors (of interest to poco's) which is why aircraft use 400Hz to save weight.
50Hz is more "Metric".

110v is safer, a good compromize between I**2 R loss and danger.
(Navy uses three ph floating neutral on ships, only 60v to the hull on each leg, a shorted phase (not uncommon) still provides light, and the delta connection allows a transformer to be changed out without loosing power, survivability issue)
220 single pole is a way to provide more power over distribution systems extant. (this I was told while living in Bangkok)

kwired

Electron manager
thanks all for their nice information and I really appreciate it.

Incase of voltage some countries use 1ph 120volt and some others use 1ph 220volt. If we pay attention for 1ph 120 volt it is much costly than 220 volt in underground distribution as well as cable size.
Specially in USA, they use 120volt 1ph and I am thinking there must be a major advantage.

Can anybody give more explaination about this

cable for 120 volts will need to be larger to supply a certain amount of power than a cable at 220 volts supplying the same amount of power not really related to frequency as much as it is related to the voltage and current.

Status
Not open for further replies.