600 amp panel boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I spent many hours on their sites, trying to sort through information. It's difficult to find.
Yeah, that happens. Not much anyway out of it for the first few times.

I keep a SQD paper Digest - which gets me started pretty quick. I know pure wierdness - actually relying on "paper" . You should be able to find a web based copy of the Digest - it is on their site. I don't know about CH or any of the rest - although I would expect similar catalog data is also available. You are at the point of specification - you need to look it up and personally verify.

ice

kwired

Electron manager

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
One thing about AB that I like over all the other suppliers is how well their web site works.

The Siemens and Schneider websites are pretty dysfunctional, often the search box can't even find a document unless you know the document number. Both have gotten better though. Both used to be much, much worse.

I am unable to use either site to actually get part numbers on any routine basis, whereas the AB web site makes getting part numbers very easy.

I threw away my AB catalog since I no longer need it, but still have Square D and Siemens catalogs.

kwired

Electron manager
One thing about AB that I like over all the other suppliers is how well their web site works.

The Siemens and Schneider websites are pretty dysfunctional, often the search box can't even find a document unless you know the document number. Both have gotten better though. Both used to be much, much worse.

I am unable to use either site to actually get part numbers on any routine basis, whereas the AB web site makes getting part numbers very easy.

I threw away my AB catalog since I no longer need it, but still have Square D and Siemens catalogs.
Unless AB started making panelboards, that doesn't help the OP much;)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Unless AB started making panelboards, that doesn't help the OP much;)

true. i just wish Siemens and Schneider would make their web sites so they were usable.

as best I can tell the only way to layout a PB with either of them is to go through the distributor and have them run it through the software package they have to configure PBs. It often takes as long as a couple of days to get an answer back from our Siemens distributor and sometimes it is a 1 or 2 weeks before the Square D distributor gets back on it. Maybe we just don't buy enough panel boards for them to care much about us.

the blur

true. i just wish Siemens and Schneider would make their web sites so they were usable.

as best I can tell the only way to layout a PB with either of them is to go through the distributor and have them run it through the software package they have to configure PBs. It often takes as long as a couple of days to get an answer back from our Siemens distributor and sometimes it is a 1 or 2 weeks before the Square D distributor gets back on it. Maybe we just don't buy enough panel boards for them to care much about us.

What they should have, is a build your panel board web site. You should be able to punch in # of large frame breakers needed. # of small frame breakers needed. Total # of spaces, with room for future expansion. Top or bottom main breaker, etc, etc. You then print specs, and talk to the supply house. I haven't seen a usable web site yet for doing so.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I haven't seen a usable web site yet for doing so.
One of the Schneider guys I talk with now and then said they are coming out with apps to do a lot of this stuff that will work on your smartphone or on the web. I have not been able to find them and don't have a smartphone anyway. I saw one app on their web site recently but it only worked on Apple or Android and not web, and was for something they called voltage optimization, whatever that means.

The thing is that the functionality may actually be there, but it is so hard to find that it might as well not be there. Various Schneider guys have shown me stuff on their web site that is very useful, but I can never find it again when I need it. Same thing with the Siemens web site. Lots of useful stuff on both sites but finding it is the trick.

kwired

Electron manager

Must just be your supplier that is slow, I usually get a build list and a price back in a couple days for Square D panels.

I don't bother with trying to hard to build the panel myself, just give them specifications I need and let them build it. They usually change something if I try to put too much details into it.

If I want a good price the supplier has to be the one that gets the price from Schnieder anyway - that is just how they want to sell things.

Status
Not open for further replies.