Burrito Q: Fastening of EMT

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
There is a burrito on the line, and I've been elected referee of it's fate.

Is a run of EMT installed in a series of web joists without any fastening (aside from within 3' of each box) code compliant?

mcclary's electrical

There is a burrito on the line, and I've been elected referee of it's fate.

Is a run of EMT installed in a series of web joists without any fastening (aside from within 3' of each box) code compliant?

358.30 (b) permits this. I say it's legal as long as the webs are closer than 10 feet, you could only have two supports on an unlimited length

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Which way do I need to vote to get the burrito ?

According to the commentary and illustration in the handbook, you are compliant.
I guess the only argument would be if one considers bar joists to be "framing members"

I voted compliant

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I said no, because to me, "...through framing members..." means, holes, not laying on top of framing members, but I may not be picturing it in my mind right either.

Have a picture?

480sparky

I had no trouble understanding plain English but thanks for helping those in the corn fields out. :grin:

I think it's painfully obvious that I got it, too, Bob.

I was just making the correction for all those city-clickers out there.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I vote compliant. There's even a diagram of this in the handbook, and the handbook is gospel, right? :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... I guess the only argument would be if one considers bar joists to be "framing members"

I don't think there is any question as to bar joists or truss joists are framing members. I think what is more questionable is the size of "openings" and how much lateral movement they permit.

Yet given the current wording, I too voted compliant.

brentk

Apologize for using the 2005 for this, my 2008 book is not handy at the moment.

358.30 Securing and supporting. EMT shall be installed as a complete system in accordance with 300.18 and shall be securely fastened in place and supported in accordance with 358.30(A) AND (B).

(A) Securely Fastened. EMT shall be securely fastened in place every 10 ft. .....

(B) Supports.....

In my interpretation (B) is not to be used as an exception from the requirements of part (A).

I vote NO.

iwire

Staff member
I don't think there is any question as to bar joists or truss joists are framing members. I think what is more questionable is the size of "openings" and how much lateral movement they permit.

Yet given the current wording, I too voted compliant.

I see it the same way.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For all of you that are ready to eat your burrito, what about 300.11?
I believe 300.11 is subjective, subject to speculation, and seems to be written more for support via wire. Where it says "securely fastened in place, it expresses no maximum interval, so the within 3' of termination points satisfies that requirement.

480sparky

I'm invoking Charlie's Rule on you! :cool:

The context of the word "series" was that of a collection, a set, a group. The question did not imply the web boards were in series with each other..........

I never applied the word 'series' to the framing itself, but rather the direction of the EMT in relationship to the direction of the framing.

...And you can buy one for me with all the trimmings. :)

Collect from the OP. I never offered any burritos.

Status
Not open for further replies.