9 gang cover CE listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

John120/240

If the electrician was thinking and on the ball at rough in: He would have explained the future problems this install will create. Its outdoors, weather proof covers. Who needs NINE switches in a row ? At the very least install 2 four gang boxes with a stack switch in one slot to make nine. Install Quality work from the getgo & don't try to pull a fast one on the inspector. It'll bite you in the ass.

Cletis

If the electrician was thinking and on the ball at rough in: He would have explained the future problems this install will create. Its outdoors, weather proof covers. Who needs NINE switches in a row ? At the very least install 2 four gang boxes with a stack switch in one slot to make nine. Install Quality work from the getgo & don't try to pull a fast one on the inspector. It'll bite you in the ass.

That was whole problem. It was a combination of HO, GC, and a generic helper doing electrical. This is a free for all state. He calls me for occasional advice on electric so him and his helpers can make more money by not hiring us on this job and it backfired on him :angel:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This whole thread sounds bogus.

9 gang cover for a screen porch?

9 gang box near the floor for Receptacles?

Come on-- why would anyone do this. If it is for switches it still outrageous for a porch and a bubble is not needed.

Cletis

this story is actually 100% the truth. If anyone here was from this area and knew this inspector they would quickly agree. The HO is an Engineer with excentric taste (he wanted the 9 gang). I bid on this job 1 yr ago and my price was way too high so he did it with someone else (not licensed or even an even an electrician) and now trying to final. He also got nailed for installing a bunch of CE listed recessed lights which he failed on this permit. Also, some NM romex in wall. This particular inspector classifies a screened in porch, albeit very little screen a wet location, therefore, wet everything from wire, devices, no slack at all. I have other inspectors who usually let us slide on regular romex in walls but generally enforce WR rec, wet location covers, etc... He just tee'd off the inspector and now he is gonna pay

kwired

Electron manager
From art 100
Listed.
Equipment, materials, or services included in a list published by an organization that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction and concerned with evaluation of products or services, that maintains periodic inspection of production of listed equipment or materials or periodic evaluation of services, and whose listing states that either the equipment, material, or service meets appropriate designated standards or has been tested and found suitable for a specified purpose.

Informational Note: The means for identifying listed equipment may vary for each organization concerned with product evaluation, some of which do not recognize equipment as listed unless it is also labeled. Use of the system employed by the listing organization allows the authority having jurisdiction to identify a listed product.
Unless the AHJ specifies that an item must be "UL" listed, any NRTL is generally acceptable. That specification had better be written in their policies and not an on the spot policy or it will get challenged.

To some extent I can understand the inspector having issues with this owner but he need not use his authority or make his own codes/rules to get back at him though. How large of a jurisdiction does he represent?

Cletis

From art 100
Unless the AHJ specifies that an item must be "UL" listed, any NRTL is generally acceptable. That specification had better be written in their policies and not an on the spot policy or it will get challenged.

To some extent I can understand the inspector having issues with this owner but he need not use his authority or make his own codes/rules to get back at him though. How large of a jurisdiction does he represent?

Great tip. I'll pass that along. Its a whole county area. I"m guessing he does around 3k-4k inspections per year going by 15-20 inspections / day avg. Luckily, he is not in my zone so I don't get him very often either

Status
Not open for further replies.