90.4 hard lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Energize said:
Since some here believe article 90 is not enforceable, this must mean they do not believe there is any enforceable purpose 90.1 or intention 90.1( C ) or scope of what is covered or not covered 90.2.

This is where there is a misunderstanding of what is being discussed.

Article 90 is an introduction to the NEC, nothing more nothing less.

It is only explanatory of how the code is laid out, what is and is not covered, how it is to be enforced, etc..., there is no "directive" as far as a code requirement that could be cited any where in the article, the code requirements are elsewhere in other articles and sections.

As fas it being a pertainent part of the code, yes it is but, it is not commanding any requirements.

Roger

jerm

Our poco's provide meter bases, so installing the "wrong" one is never an option... I guess it isn't like this everywhere? I wonder what percentage of places in the US have pocos that make you buy your own meter base vs. those that provide them.

roger3829

jerm said:
Our poco's provide meter bases, so installing the "wrong" one is never an option... I guess it isn't like this everywhere? I wonder what percentage of places in the US have pocos that make you buy your own meter base vs. those that provide them.

We have to provide and install meter sockets w/bypass levers per their spec's.

mdshunk

480sparky said:
The only thing my POCO supplies is a recorded phone message. :mad:
Mine might put in a new house knob if it's a service upgrade if they're feeling generous. Mostly, the linemen bug me for the old main out of the old panel for their own personal sidework. I had one explain the racket. They go to an outage call, and discover everything's okay on the PoCo end, but the customer has a failed main. They call in and take an hour's vacation or personal time, replace the customer's main with a used one they have stashed in a bin on their trouble truck, charge the customer whatever, and return to their regular work. I don't know how widespread this practice may or may not be, but I know that it does occur. Same with linemen doing work on farm poles and customer owned substations on the weekends.

mdshunk said:
Mine might put in a new house knob if it's a service upgrade if they're feeling generous. Mostly, the linemen bug me for the old main out of the old panel for their own personal sidework. I had one explain the racket. They go to an outage call, and discover everything's okay on the PoCo end, but the customer has a failed main. They call in and take an hour's vacation or personal time, replace the customer's main with a used one they have stashed in a bin on their trouble truck, charge the customer whatever, and return to their regular work. I don't know how widespread this practice may or may not be, but I know that it does occur. Same with linemen doing work on farm poles and customer owned substations on the weekends.

So, did you give it to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.