A History of EMT and Electrician Skepticism

ruxton.stanislaw

Occupation
Laboratory Engineer

A History of EMT and Electrician Skepticism: The Case of Jack Benefield and the One-Shot Bender​

Electrical Metallic Tubing (EMT) has become a staple in electrical construction, but its journey wasn't always smooth. In the early days, electricians were hesitant to adopt this new material, and figures like Jack Benefield played a role in overcoming that resistance.

The Early Days of EMT (1960s):
  • EMT emerged in the 1960s as a lighter, more affordable alternative to traditional rigid conduit.
  • Electricians, accustomed to the sturdiness of rigid conduit, were skeptical of EMT's ability to withstand the rigors of construction sites.
  • Concerns centered around EMT's thinner walls being more prone to bending or crushing during installation.
Jack Benefield and the One-Shot Bender:
  • Jack Benefield, a prominent figure in the electrical industry, is credited with playing a key role in promoting the acceptance of EMT.
  • Benefield is known for his invention of the "one-shot bender," a specialized tool that allowed for quick and accurate bending of EMT conduit.
  • This innovation addressed a major concern for electricians – the difficulty of bending EMT with traditional bending tools used for rigid conduit.
  • With the one-shot bender, EMT installations became faster and more efficient, helping to overcome electrician reluctance.
Overcoming Skepticism:
  • The ease of use offered by the one-shot bender, coupled with EMT's cost-effectiveness and lighter weight, gradually convinced electricians of its merits.
  • Additionally, safety standards and testing procedures were established to ensure EMT met the necessary requirements for electrical applications.
EMT's Legacy:
  • Today, EMT is widely used in commercial and industrial electrical projects for running wires in protected environments.
  • Its ease of installation, affordability, and compatibility with various bending techniques make it a popular choice for electricians.
While specific details about Jack Benefield's contributions are limited, his role in creating a user-friendly bending tool likely played a significant part in overcoming electrician hesitation and paving the way for EMT's widespread adoption.

Occupation
Residential/Commercial Electrical Instructor

A History of EMT and Electrician Skepticism: The Case of Jack Benefield and the One-Shot Bender​

Electrical Metallic Tubing (EMT) has become a staple in electrical construction, but its journey wasn't always smooth. In the early days, electricians were hesitant to adopt this new material, and figures like Jack Benefield played a role in overcoming that resistance.

The Early Days of EMT (1960s):
  • EMT emerged in the 1960s as a lighter, more affordable alternative to traditional rigid conduit.
  • Electricians, accustomed to the sturdiness of rigid conduit, were skeptical of EMT's ability to withstand the rigors of construction sites.
  • Concerns centered around EMT's thinner walls being more prone to bending or crushing during installation.
Jack Benefield and the One-Shot Bender:
  • Jack Benefield, a prominent figure in the electrical industry, is credited with playing a key role in promoting the acceptance of EMT.
  • Benefield is known for his invention of the "one-shot bender," a specialized tool that allowed for quick and accurate bending of EMT conduit.
  • This innovation addressed a major concern for electricians – the difficulty of bending EMT with traditional bending tools used for rigid conduit.
  • With the one-shot bender, EMT installations became faster and more efficient, helping to overcome electrician reluctance.
Overcoming Skepticism:
  • The ease of use offered by the one-shot bender, coupled with EMT's cost-effectiveness and lighter weight, gradually convinced electricians of its merits.
  • Additionally, safety standards and testing procedures were established to ensure EMT met the necessary requirements for electrical applications.
EMT's Legacy:
  • Today, EMT is widely used in commercial and industrial electrical projects for running wires in protected environments.
  • Its ease of installation, affordability, and compatibility with various bending techniques make it a popular choice for electricians.
While specific details about Jack Benefield's contributions are limited, his role in creating a user-friendly bending tool likely played a significant part in overcoming electrician hesitation and paving the way for EMT's widespread adoption.
Awesome information! Thank you

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I believe he invented EMT.

Jack's family has an electrical supple house here that I deal with, Benefield Electrical Supply run by his sons. I was even given an autographed copy of Jack's bending manual.

-Hal

Last edited:

synchro

Occupation
EE
The house I grew up in within the city of Chicago was built in 1938 with EMT. It has identical dimensions as current EMT does, but it has black paint instead of galvanizing.

This announcement in the Jan. 1929 Journal of the AIEE was backed up by the subsequent wide adoption of EMT:

New_conduit_EMT.png

This announcement on the same page was not as prescient:

1929_forecast_AIEE.png

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
Fortunately or unfortunately, whichever way you look at it, EMT is becoming less common on jobs sites.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I used to see a few of the Benfield brand of benders. Are they still made or did Klein buy them out?

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I have a 1/2" EMT bender that I think is an original "Benfield" I will have to look it's out in my truck. I started working with an electrician back in 73' and it was his bender, he retired so I ended up with it and it was nowhere near new in 73.

Klien Benders are a copy of the Benfield.. I think Jack Benfield lived to be quite old.

If I had to guess I think the bender I have is over 60 years old.

As far as the story above I think it is accurate except for the part about "EMT emerging in the 60s" 1930 is more like it.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Meet the Author
Jack Benfeld
Jack Benfield has been identified with the electrical conduit industry since 1929. He was a pioneer in the marketing of thin wall (EMT) conduit in the United States. Republic Steel Corporation created EMT. To market this brand-new product, the company selected six young salesmen to cover the United States. Jack was in that original group of six.
Almost every branch of the electrical industry tried to discourage the acceptance of thin wall conduit. Electricians cussed it, because it was such a problem to bend. Only hickey-type tools were available and they kinked the EMT too easily. Labor unions wanted more labor, not less. The steel mills wanted more tonnage, not less. The NEC restricted the use of EMT to exposed dry locations and to circuits of 300 volts or less.
Then, in the early 1930s, a wheel-type EMT bender (hand portable type) with a fixed radius appeared. It did an acceptable job, but it was an awkward tool with four parts and a floppy hook. The need for a better bender was obvious. Jack designed and patented the first one-piece, solid hook Benfield bender for 1/2”, 3/4” and 1” EMT.
Jack Benfield wrote the first pocket instruction booklet back in the early 1930s. Since then over 2 million copies of his instruction booklets have been published. This revised “Benfield Conduit Bending Manual” is the perfect companion for teaching proper bending techniques. Apprentice electricians use the manual as a textbook to "zero-in" on any bothersome bending problem.
Electrical superintendents, training directors and journeymen electricians, by the thousands, have endorsed Jack’s simple, non-technical method for making conduit bends that fit.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The AI(?) written article, in post #1, has Jack's name spelled as Benefield.
The biography article, in post #17, has his name as Benfield.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Believe 1/2" EMT and 3/8" flex are cheaper here still.
Either way they want EMT primarily for new builds, but that's a local quirk. MC's not legal in much of the area. No good reason for it.

The last few jobs I bid, there was no VE cost-savings to use MC over the specified EMT, but there was a decent time-savings. The engineers are not recommending acceptance, but the GC's & Owner's are taking it to accelerate the schedule.