Adding only one little 15W LED light to a store: would it trigger Title 24 compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I am not real familiar with Title 24 but if you are using limiters on the track the per IECC the max wattage of the limiter has already been included in the calculation an you may use up to that calculation. add to many lamps the limiter will trip.

Right,
But if you don't use limiters you need to calculate per linear feet of track.
So a 20 foot section of track will get you 1400 watts. That would put you over your allotment for the space. Even with the limiters you have issues because most limiters would need to be fractional amps to work well .

For example you want track so you have the ability to redirect the lighting from time to time when your lighting needs change. You choose a LED track head of 10 watts, you have 4 of them , that is a fraction of a watt. The nearest limiter is .5 A. that is 60 watts , you've just wasted 20 watts in a calculation that you can't use elsewhere. :rant:

fandi

My guess is that the unit with the fan is a new installation and the light is part of the work done under the same permit.
Might be easier to put the fan in without the service light and add the light later.
I still go with the option of making the service light cord and plug connected. Just what the tech would have to use if the built-in light were not there.
You are correct, sir. It's an one for one fan coil unit replacement and the light is part of the scope of work. The client doesn't want portable light with extension cord. So at the end, I added about (9) Title 24 forms just for that little light and be done with it.
Thanks for everyone for helping out. I appreciate it.
P.S.: It's not the city who requires the Title 24 calc. The city most likely passed it since I have worked with them before. It's the client that I can't tell you.

Last edited:

mwm1752

Right,
But if you don't use limiters you need to calculate per linear feet of track.
So a 20 foot section of track will get you 1400 watts. That would put you over your allotment for the space. Even with the limiters you have issues because most limiters would need to be fractional amps to work well .

For example you want track so you have the ability to redirect the lighting from time to time when your lighting needs change. You choose a LED track head of 10 watts, you have 4 of them , that is a fraction of a watt. The nearest limiter is .5 A. that is 60 watts , you've just wasted 20 watts in a calculation that you can't use elsewhere. :rant:

I'd just say that's the nature of the beast. Most live end limiters I've seem are in amp increments - but you can run unlimited lenght of track & use whatever head you want without calculating to watts per foot or max screw shell wattage or excess wattage per ft over 30 watts. Remote lo volt tramsformers can have the same values as well.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You are correct, sir. It's an one for one fan coil unit replacement and the light is part of the scope of work. The client doesn't want portable light with extension cord. So at the end, I added about (9) Title 24 forms just for that little light and be done with it.
Thanks for everyone for helping out. I appreciate it.
P.S.: It's not the city who requires the Title 24 calc. The city most likely passed it since I have worked with them before. It's the client that I can't tell you.

Did you get paid for your efforts!

Status
Not open for further replies.