AFCI Tripping- Anyone have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
110711-1631 EDT

ELA:

I agree what I am suggesting is speculation, but it is something that pops out visually.

It could be the LM1851, but like the SCR anode supply the LM1851 supply has a fair amount of filtering.

Testing with well defined test equipment is obviously the best way, but one can still get some useful information from a crude setup. If you have an installation where moderately consistent tripping occurs with a GFCI or AFCI and you change the problem device with a different model or manufacturer, and the tripping is eliminated or greatly reduced in probability, then you have some valid information to determine the next step.

Ah Yes, shotgun diagnoses. Shoot parts at it until it works. BTDT. :)

gar

Occupation
EE
110711-2121 EDT

ptonsparky:

Do you have a direct way to determine the cause?

Many times one creates a hypothesis and then performs tests to verify the hypothesis. This is what a lot of scientific research is based on. Ohm's law followed this approach.

I conjecture that most of the time you do troubleshooting the procedure is:
From the evidence guess at the problem. This would be done using your prior experience.
Do a test to verify or invalidate your conjecture.
Repeat as necessary.

Last edited:

unytko

Bead batch of AFCI breakers???

Bead batch of AFCI breakers???

Hell from this week. I responded to the complains from one of the tenants in the multi family building about tripping breakers for two bedrooms. To make a week long story short:
She was using hair dryer, voccum, and iron ( not all at the same time) and randomly it would trip - no particular pattern or time when it occurred .First fiew days not when I was around!!! Mostly early morning or late afternoon or when I was not in the building. I replaced the breakers with new(GE) - two times !! Then being excused for faulty wiring in the aparment ( she just payed 2.5 Mil for )I andup re-spliceing every receptacle/ switch on the branch. Did not find any problems so decided to buy different brand breakers- I installed Cutler Hammer and problem is gone!!!!! Still not sure if my GE are bead or else.... ( appliances ) or both ....

Status
Not open for further replies.