AFCI (yes again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Your response referencing the definitions of both "device" and "utilization equipment" made me think I should look at those more closely at those definitions.

"Device. A unit of an electrical system, other than a conductor, that carries or controls electric energy as its principal function"
Handbook commentary for Device - "Switches, circuit breakers, fuseholder, receptacles, attachment plugs, and lampholders that distribute or control but do not consume electrical energy are considered devices. Devises that consume incidental amounts of electrical energy in the performance of carrying or controlling electricity - such as a switch with an internal pilot light, a GFCI receptacle, or a magnetic contactor - are also considered devices. Although conductors are units of the electrical system, they are not devices."

"Utilization Equipment. Equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating, lighting or similar purposes."

After looking at these two definitions more closely and especially the Handbook's commentary stating "...that distribute or control but DO NOT CONSUME ELECTRICAL ENERGY..." I no longer feel that a heater by itself would be considered a device and in turn would not require AFCI protection. However, here's the rub...I would however consider a wall mounted thermostat utilizing 120V to be a device and WOULD require AFCI protection, would it not?
You are forgetting that word "outlet" that is also in the requirements. "Device" was recently introduced - before you could have a switch for an outside light in a living room - the "outlet" was in a location not requiring AFCI, and "device" was not in the requirements - so it was acceptable. 2014 they add "device" in the wording - now the outside light (outlet) does not require AFCI, but the switch being located in a living room does. A hardwired appliance still has an "outlet" so if it is 15-20 amps 120 volts it will need AFCI protection if in a location requiring AFCI.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You are forgetting that word "outlet" that is also in the requirements. "Device" was recently introduced - before you could have a switch for an outside light in a living room - the "outlet" was in a location not requiring AFCI, and "device" was not in the requirements - so it was acceptable. 2014 they add "device" in the wording - now the outside light (outlet) does not require AFCI, but the switch being located in a living room does. A hardwired appliance still has an "outlet" so if it is 15-20 amps 120 volts it will need AFCI protection if in a location requiring AFCI.

I do agree. I guess I'm back to thinking that a 120V 15- or 20-A heater (regardless of if it has a wall mounted thermostat) would require AFCI protection.

gjneumann

Question on OBC AFCI for new construction

Question on OBC AFCI for new construction

Question: The 2014 will allow an "AFCI receptacle/OBC" to be used as a replacement. However, for new construction, there is still no listed "AFCI receptacle/OBC" that meets the requirements for "system combination-type" AFCI. In other words, you must use Circuit Breaker AFCI's. From an electricians and cost standpoint, is that a big problem???
Is there a need for a listed combination-type AFCI for new construction???

See code below:
d. The combination of the branch-circuit overcurrent device and outlet branch-circuit AFCI shall be identified as meeting the requirements for a system
combination?type AFCI and shall be listed as such.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Interesting...

Interesting...

That so many should hang their afci hat on UL 1699

Personally, i find NRTL test procedures in laboratory setting rather disenfranchised from real world applications

That said, we're hearing of this cotton ball test , or whatever manifestation of Paschens law allows a series arc to me mitigated ala NRLT

So, any links, video's, UL dissertations , or other insights to the infamous 1699 would be helpful fellas...

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.