AFCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
My son just went to the eye doctor and the doctor, without even knowing what I do, told my son that he will never be an electrician.

That's ok he want to be a cop and that's a pretty honorable profession.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I've met several colorblind electricians, I'm impressed that they more than muddle through in the trade. :cool:

I just noticed this post:

mattsilkwood said:
ive also seen them trip with backstabs when you plug something in it moves the outlet just enough to get a tiny arc. i dont know why they even put those backstabs on outlets they just cause trouble
I doubt the tiny arc was ever seen by AFCI circuitry, the current values are too high to detect small arcs. :)

wanderer20001us

cowboyjwc said:
My son just went to the eye doctor and the doctor, without even knowing what I do, told my son that he will never be an electrician.

That's ok he want to be a cop and that's a pretty honorable profession.

Tell you son he can be what ever he wants to be. There are many of us color challenged people in the trade doing just fine.

jeff43222

wanderer20001us said:
Tell you son he can be what ever he wants to be. There are many of us color challenged people in the trade doing just fine.
I'm curious how someone who is red/green colorblind would be able to do wiring work. Those colors show up in a lot of boxes, and you generally don't want to confuse them. :D

allenwayne

I can tell my colors just fine.Maybe I don`t see them as you do but they are different to me.After 34 years of practice I can tell one shade of gray from another.
That's ok he want to be a cop and that's a pretty honorable profession

That`s funny I suppose that he thinks your son will be able to differentiate a flashing yellow from a flashing red.

S Gordon

Arc fault detectors do have inherent ground fault protection built-in, although not sensitive enough to qualify as ground fault protection, (learned in field and verified with call to Square D).

Speaking of arc faults, I'd like to pose a question in the form of a scenario:

Young, newly married, (read broke) in first home that has ungrounded outlets (due to old 2 wire NM cable throughout) and insurance company requires an update to circuit panel because of no fuse box rule. With this pretty new circuit breaker panel I can now install AFCI and GFCI breakers bearing in mind we have a budget (yes I'd like to rip into each opening and replace with new NM) please consider the following.
The code would suggest GFI breakers due to ungrounded outlets. What if I outfitted the entire home with AFCI breakers and then placed GFI receptacles where required by the most recent code. I'm not asking if this is legal, I'm asking ethically, it seems with the consequential GFI protection offered by the AFCIs is this the best, safest bang for their buck?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
He's red/green color blind to where he can't tell green from brown. It helped him learn to read early, that was the only way he could tell which crayon he had and he has a little trouble with blue and purple depending on the shade.

As for the flashing lights, he's not that color blind.

haskindm

S Gordon,
It is legal, ethical, and meets code. There may be some nuisance tripping issues on the AFCI circuits with some motor operated loads (I understand some vacuum cleaners are prone to ripping) but should be a safe installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.