All Slope Can and Arc Fault....Bad Combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
This is one of those situations that really irritate me. I am trimming out a new house with eight Halo all slope cans installed. I energize the circuit and the CH AFCI breaker trips immediately. I begin tearing apart switch boxes to try and isolate the fault. After 6 hours of trudging up and down three flights of stairs between the panel and the problem, I discover that the lampholder on these cans is attached to the housing via a screw that essentially bonds the neutral to the can thus creating a short beween the grounded and grounding conductor and therefore causing the AFCI to trip instantly. I'd love to be able to backcharge the manufacturer for my wasted time in trying to troubleshoot a problem that they created. What are these engineers thinking?????? Rest assured I'll be calling my Cooper Rep in the morning.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
In reference to the thread header, I would say the GFP in the Arc-fault breaker did it's job? it found a faulty fixture that would have otherwise been ignored.;)

Nicely stated. It would be nice if "ALL" the manufacturers of AFCI's would all be required to have indicators to assist in diagnosising whether the fault detected was a GF or an ARC signature.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
So how did you fix this ? Change out the socket ?

I'm trying to deal with Cooper right now but the pass the buck mode is in high gear. What a joke trying to get an answer. Actually, I could remedy this by placing a rubber washer between the screw that fastenens the lampholder and the bracket that attaches to the can. Then I'm sure the UL listing would be violated. I'll probably go that route anyway as these large conglomerates don't seem to really care about the guy in the field.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Another situation that doing a megger test at rough in would have caught. With the requirement for AFCI's on most every circuit, I run a megger test on the whole house before cover up. It is an easy process and assures that your job is "clean" of faults that may other wise be blamed on you at finish. When you have "no faults" at rough, then a fault at finish, you can be sure it is a nail, screw, or something other then your work.
In this case just running a megger test on the switch leg, without lamps in the lights, would have caught the problem in minutes.

dbuckley

I run a megger test on the whole house before cover up. It is an easy process and assures that your job is "clean" of faults that may other wise be blamed on you at finish. When you have "no faults" at rough, then a fault at finish, you can be sure it is a nail, screw, or something other then your work. In this case just running a megger test on the switch leg, without lamps in the lights, would have caught the problem in minutes.
And this is why on another thread I opined that every electrician should have a megger and use it.

The pain and trouble this simple instrument can save is remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.