Aluminum to Aluminum ASAP please ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow the listing and instructions

Follow the listing and instructions

The Ideal 65 (purple) wirenuts ARE for use with aluminum and copper splices as limited by the instructions - it's that simple. The tested combinations are the only ones approved, but you can be a bit creative. Need to splice 2 aluminum #10s ? Then also include one of the approved copper conductors, and then cap the copper pigtail.

The pictured failure of an Ideal 65 wirenut I saw on the competitor's website, was of a connection made in violation of the Ideal 65's rated uses. Any incorrectly applied/installed device is subject to failure.

There are three critical issues for the old aluminum conductors : 1) The alloy used back then was not strong enough to be as reliable (as resistant to cold-flow) as modern aluminum conductor alloys, 2) Termination in a non-aluminum rated compression termination leads to cold-flow due to widely differing expansion rates, and ultimate cascade failure of the connection, 3) Failure to use an oxide protection compound left the raw aluminum subject to surface oxidation - and aluminum oxide is an excellent insulator.

Small gauge conductors within the Ideal 65's range and count may be spliced with a reasonable level of confidence - BUT - good workmanship is key. Also, the stripping of the aluminum conductor must absolutely be done without nicking the wire with a cut !!

All other aluminum conductors must use modern lugs designed for use with aluminum, must be installed in accordance with the instructions, and must use an oxide protection compound as instructed. Caution - some now very old lugs were erroneously rated AL/CU when it was thought that only the copper-to-aluminum metal connection was the problem; these were made with tinned copper/bronze and WILL FAIL.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The Ideal 65 (purple) wirenuts ARE for use with aluminum and copper splices as limited by the instructions - it's that simple. The tested combinations are the only ones approved, but you can be a bit creative. Need to splice 2 aluminum #10s ? Then also include one of the approved copper conductors, and then cap the copper pigtail.

Welcome to the forum.. I realize the wirenut is not approved for alum to alum but can you explain why a piece of copper makes it work. In post 5 of this thread( http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=169342&p=1646501#post1646501 ) I suggested just what you did but I would like to know why.

Welcome to the forum.. I realize the wirenut is not approved for alum to alum but can you explain why a piece of copper makes it work. In post 5 of this thread( http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=169342&p=1646501#post1646501 ) I suggested just what you did but I would like to know why.

It works and is correct because that assembly has been tested and is listed in the product literature as an approved combination of conductors. WHY it is OK, other than that it was tested that way, I do not know - only that it is approved.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yeah, I am curious if it was tested for al-al or they never got that far in the thinking. I would like to know the chemistry of why al-al would not work.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yeah, I am curious if it was tested for al-al or they never got that far in the thinking. I would like to know the chemistry of why al-al would not work.
If there is a reason that Al to Al will not work, it is more likely the physics (cold flow, differential expansion, etc.) than chemistry (metal to metal connection properties).

Status
Not open for further replies.