Anti-shorts required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremysterling

In addition to AS-0's, 12/2 MCAP comes with a shim adapter for your rotosplit.

There is no NEC requirement to use a rotosplit type tool, yet some companies make it policy, along with the use of Annie's Shorts.

The 250' roll of 12/2 MC I've used in the past comes with a bag holding 18 Anti-Short size 0 bushings. I wonder, does this mean the average MC run is 13.889'?:roll:

SiddMartin

In addition to AS-0's, 12/2 MCAP comes with a shim adapter for your rotosplit.

There is no NEC requirement to use a rotosplit type tool, yet some companies make it policy, along with the use of Annie's Shorts.

The 250' roll of 12/2 MC I've used in the past comes with a bag holding 18 Anti-Short size 0 bushings. I wonder, does this mean the average MC run is 13.889'?:roll:

it would be half of that, b/c each run would require (2) anti's :smile:

ssandoval

Chris, sorry for the late reply. That (the NEMA bulletin)was the single best bit of info on this subject that I've seen yet. I'm down here on the gulf coast and most local municipalities don't allow AC or MC and the couple that do only recently started. I've work for the school district for the last twelve years and we just started allowing its use on new construction in the last two years. Didn't have much experience with either type. Thanks very much to ALL.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't like Roto-splits because of the sharp angle of the cut, and it always nicks the next wrap, too, so I have to twist it off.

Who cares? They're 'free.' I save them and use them when turning extra MC sheath into miniature FMC on small wires.

LYLE2231

mc anti short bushings

mc anti short bushings

What Chris just posted.

What I'm seeing in the Miami,Fl area are cut in boxes of the type used with
the screw in the back of the box that uses pressure to secure the mc in the
box. In that case I'm requiring an anti short bushing because there is no "fitting" with the built in bushing present. :cool:

tkb

box. In that case I'm requiring an anti short bushing because there is no "fitting" with the built in bushing present. :cool:

If the boxes have clamps that are listed for MC, then you are wrong to fail this installation.
The clamps that I see have a rolled edge where the wires go through.
Just because it is not red does not mean it is not a MC fitting.

dcspector

Thw integral clamp still has a throat to stop the clad. That is the intent of an MC connector. You can require all day long but if it is not required per code, etc.,.............

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Neither an anti-short bushing, nor a built in bushing is required on an MC connector. The requirement is that the listing of the connector corresponds to the size and type of cable being used.

I don't know if integral box clamps are rated for MC or not but requiring the use of anti-shorts does not follow the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.