Apartment Load Center in bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Don't know how many mobile homes have them mounted in the bedrooms. I know... 550. But it is still a dwelling unit...

stickboy1375

The rule in 240.24(D) applies to all panels. You cannot install them in the vicinity of easily ingnitible material. It does not just apply to clothes closets...that is just an example of one area that may be in the vicinity of easily ignitible material. It is always a judgement call by the AHJ, but in a bedroom may very well be in the vicinity of easily ingnitible material, and the installation of a panel in some clothes closests may not be in the vicintiy of easily ignitible material.

IMO, they need to remove the example "such as a clothes closet" if they dont want OCP in a clothes closet, then just say it... but don't assume all clothes closets have easily ignitable material....

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
IMO, they need to remove the example "such as a clothes closet" if they dont want OCP in a clothes closet, then just say it... but don't assume all clothes closets have easily ignitable material....
I don't assume that the installation of a panel in all clothes closest would be installing the panel in the vincinity of easily ignitable material. I read the words "such as a clothes closet" as one example of a location that may be in the vicinity of easily ignitable material...not as a blanket prohibition to installing a panel in a clothes closet.

stickboy1375

I don't assume that the installation of a panel in all clothes closest would be installing the panel in the vincinity of easily ignitable material. I read the words "such as a clothes closet" as one example of a location that may be in the vicinity of easily ignitable material...not as a blanket prohibition to installing a panel in a clothes closet.

Sorry if you thought I was directing it directly at you, i wasn't. My point being, if you ask 100 electricians if OCP can be installed in a clothes closet, I'm betting 100% of the answers will be "NO" this goes for inspectors alike.... IMO, they need to remove the "...such as" statement....

If they were to leave "in the areas of easily igniteable materials" up to interpretation wouldn't that open the possibility of not allowing panels to be installed in basements? After all, that is where people store household chemicals, clothes, newspapers, boxes...

stickboy1375

If they were to leave "in the areas of easily igniteable materials" up to interpretation wouldn't that open the possibility of not allowing panels to be installed in basements? After all, that is where people store household chemicals, clothes, newspapers, boxes...

So why mention "such as clothes closets?" but nothing else? it's wording that does not belong....

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That is the rule...you can't install overcurrent devices in the vicinity of easily intangible materials and it is a very subjective rule and up to the AHJ. The real issue is the definition of "easily ignitable material. I agree that there are a lot of places that could have "easily ignitable material" and you are not permitted to install panels in those locations.

That is the rule...you can't install overcurrent devices in the vicinity of easily intangible materials and it is a very subjective rule and up to the AHJ. The real issue is the definition of "easily ignitable material. I agree that there are a lot of places that could have "easily ignitable material" and you are not permitted to install panels in those locations.

While getting the definition of "easily ignitable materials" we might as well get the exact dimensions of "the vicinity".

Status
Not open for further replies.