Apprentice argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I understand that but this was the OP's statement
Sorry, I wasn't thinking "out-of-the-box" on this. The way it was worded I thought they were buying 200 MB panels, removing the 200A main CB and installing a 100A main CB. First off, I'm not sure a 100A MB will fit correctly in that space. However, installing a 100A plug-in CB with a hold-down kit will work just fine. Second, why buy a 200A MBP ? Just buy a 40/80 circuit MLP and install the plug-in CB.
I misunderstood what he meant in the OP also.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I believe what he is saying is how a 200 amp panel has more spaces than a 100 amp panel. So they just switch the main out of a 200 amp and install a 100 amp main.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I believe what he is saying is how a 200 amp panel has more spaces than a 100 amp panel. So they just switch the main out of a 200 amp and install a 100 amp main.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

If that's the case, what's the breaker clips he's referring to in post 8 ?.

To me it makes it sound like they are leaving the 200a Main Breaker in place and using a 2p 100 amp backfed breaker with a hold down kit.
Hence my referral to a "beefy 100 amp subfeed breaker (The original 200 amp Main) rated at 200 amps,,, but,,

Who knows...

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
Square D does not have many panels over 8 plug on spaces that have provisions for a hold down device especially for the 200 amp version AFAIK, both QO and Homeline series are that way. If you were to install a back fed breaker usually would have to go in space nearest the main breaker/main lug end as they are often set up so you can back feed, hold down and install interlock device for a stand by source.

Certain 100 amp three phase panels are the only ones you can order with factory installed back fed mains (or easily field install a back fed main) in the position nearest the main lugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.