Arc fault breakers required in panel replacement

When replacing the main electrical circuit breaker panel of an existing residential dwelling, all existing branch circuits shall be protected in accordance with article 210.8 for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter Protection for Personnel and article 210.12 for Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter Protection for the locations as specified.

The electrical inspector sent me this where did he get it from?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
AFCI's are not required on a panel upgrade unless you're extending the existing conductors more than 6'.

Where are you located? Could he be citing a local code amendment?

Hinesville ga, I've replaced many panels without arcfault breakers... The inspector sent me this message for the last one I got a permit for.

This is an earth shattering demand if you didn’t originally quote it that way. We are on the 2017 NEC and only ever install AFCIs if we are running a new circuit to kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas or if we’re altering an existing circuit (ie changing a receptacle or adding anything to the circuit, etc,) in these areas. If those circuits are not being touched during the panel swap we only put AFCIs in if they were present in the panel that is being removed. If your township doesn’t have some different rule then there is no reason you should have to do this. Just be polite with the inspector.