Arctic Temps in The Midwest

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

96825.png

Waikiki%20&%20Diamond%20Head.jpg

Oh, shut up! :grin::grin::grin:

ultramegabob

It is -8 here right now....... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I just saw that the windchill tonight could be as low as -18 to -28

Last edited:

Kdog76

For those of us in the midwest - what's your policy for doing outside work in these kinds of temps? I'll tell you mine - if it's 10-15 degrees F, it's time to find some inside work. If it's 0 or less (w/o wind chill) I start to think about going to work at all. But then again, I'm a bit of a slacker... Not so good when your self-employed.:D

480sparky

For those of us in the midwest - what's your policy for doing outside work in these kinds of temps? I'll tell you mine - if it's 10-15 degrees F, it's time to find some inside work. If it's 0 or less (w/o wind chill) I start to think about going to work at all. But then again, I'm a bit of a slacker... Not so good when your self-employed.:D

I won't work outside at all in this weather. Unless it's life-threatening for someone, forget it.

Both vehicles started this morning w/o jumper cables or the 200a engine starter in the shed. Any colder, and they probably would just sit. That alone can determine if I go to work or not.

ultramegabob

I put off two jobs today because of the temp, I was planning on just staying home, but i got a call from a commercial customer that just had a plumber repair a water line that burst and install a new heat tape, they said the recept was not working, so I went to check it out, it turned out the recept was up under the office (which is basically a double wide trailer) and the frame was awful close to the ground.... nope, no way my big butt will fit under there wearing a parka, I told them I could lend them an extension cord for a week or so until the weather lets up, and I will return with a skinny helper..:grin:

G0049

You guys think this winter is cold, why when I was a kid it was so cold that........

Thats how we survive the Michigan winters. We divide our time between complaining about the cold, and lying about it.:D

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
You guys think this winter is cold, why when I was a kid it was so cold that........

Thats how we survive the Michigan winters. We divide our time between complaining about the cold, and lying about it.:D

that's how the phonecians survive the feen-x summers....
they form support groups, and say "but it's a dry heat" often.
and buy convertibles.... even their sports arena is a convertible.:D

everyplace i've ever been has something about it that isn't so
spiffy. socal has great weather, when it isn't on fire....

and the downside is that one of every six people in america lives within
80 miles of me.... if you count from santa barbara to the mexican border,
and go 100 miles inland, the last census shows 1 in 6 people in this country
lives there........ so we talk here about the great weather.... to each other
on our cellphones, sitting on the 405 freeway, watching the sun set....
where a 15 mile trip from santa monica to orange county, taken at the
wrong time of the day, can take 2 1/2 hours.... or more......

iaov

Its -7 here right now. My wife just called and offered to take me to lunch and I turned her down.Unless there is a life threatening emergency I'm not going anywhere for another couple of days.When it is this cold I too, am a slacker.:D

Kdog76

Its -7 here right now. My wife just called and offered to take me to lunch and I turned her down.Unless there is a life threatening emergency I'm not going anywhere for another couple of days.When it is this cold I too, am a slacker.:D

I see your in Rhinelander, I'm a little south of you then- Sheboygan has got about -9 w/o wind chill. Haven't even tried to start the van yet. Don't know that I will.

peter d

so we talk here about the great weather.... to each other
on our cellphones, sitting on the 405 freeway, watching the sun set....
where a 15 mile trip from santa monica to orange county, taken at the
wrong time of the day, can take 2 1/2 hours.... or more......

You forgot the superb air quality that results from having 10 million cars idling during that 2.5 hour commute. ;)

480sparky

nope... that isn't a photoshop, it's from mattracks web site...
they will, in fact, go anywhere.....

OK, so....... "Dennis has been dreaming about a new truck!" :grin:

However, I doubt it will 'go anywhere'. More places than a standard 4x4 could, sure. More places than a custom 4x4, yes. But 'anywhere'? There's a limit to anything man-made.

quogueelectric

karl is busy, and asked me to let you all know that in orange, california today
that it was 85 degrees.......

in chicago at the same time, it was 8 degrees.

i had to go home and put flip flops on, and put the AC on in my truck.
carl probably had to do the same thing, unless he left the house properly
attired in flip flops.... i started work at 5:15 am in newport, and it was a
bit chilly for flip flops at that time, i must confess. i wore socks and
everything........ but by 9 am, it was flip flop time.......

it's ok.... i paid dues to get here.... i hooked up AC units on the white
vinyl roof of the sniders of hanover pretzel factory in goodyear, az
in august. it was 126 at the time.... no, that wasn't a typo, but it sure
was a mistake. :D
I put the ac compressor on for a little while in my truck today but that was just to oil the compressor with the heat on. It was 13 and falling I cant wait till morning.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
OK, so....... "Dennis has been dreaming about a new truck!" :grin:

However, I doubt it will 'go anywhere'. More places than a standard 4x4 could, sure. More places than a custom 4x4, yes. But 'anywhere'? There's a limit to anything man-made.

true.... however, they are pretty amazing..... there are a number of videos
on the mattracks website...

lookie.... :

http://www.mattracks.com/Mattracks_SC01.wmv

http://www.mattracks.com/Mattracks_SC_HMVtest.wmv

http://www.mattracks.com/Mattracks_swamp.wmv

http://www.mattracks.com/Mattracks_SC_rough1.wmv

Status
Not open for further replies.