Are Flourescent Tube Protectors Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Where there is exposed food; clean equipment, utensils, and linens; or unwrapped single-service and single-use articles."

Wow! Exposed food...That's pretty much the ENTIRE place! Is the food considered to be protected After you eat it? :D
And many tables have drop lights with exposed bulbs (offensive glare to the eyes as well since they usually don't use the shaded bulbs).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Where there is exposed food; clean equipment, utensils, and linens; or unwrapped single-service and single-use articles."

Wow! Exposed food...That's pretty much the ENTIRE place! Is the food considered to be protected After you eat it? :D

Here's the rest of the article section.

6-202.11 Light Bulbs, Protective Shielding.

• (A) Except as specified in ? (B) of this section, light bulbs shall be shielded, coated, or otherwise shatter-resistant in areas where there is exposed food; clean equipment, utensils, and linens; or unwrapped single-service and single-use articles.
  • (B) Shielded, coated, or otherwise shatter-resistant bulbs need not be used in areas used only for storing food in unopened packages, if:
    • (1) The integrity of the packages cannot be affected by broken glass falling onto them; and
    • (2) The packages are capable of being cleaned of debris from broken bulbs before the packages are opened.
  • (C) An infrared or other heat lamp shall be protected against breakage by a shield surrounding and extending beyond the bulb so that only the face of the bulb is exposed.
Roger

davedottcom

I'm getting nervous about eating in my own kitchen now!

Maybe I should just eat in the bathroom for now on, apparently it's safer in there!

:grin:

quinn77

wal-mart requires coated lamps in ALL cold food cases, bakery display, etc...no matter what AHJ says. the 5 foot 52 watt T8 coated lamps for wal-marts are 700 dollars a case...and they have a 90 day billing cycle...ouch:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.