Are Kirchoffs Law and Ohms Law interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

Why would you ever use Kirchhoff's Law instead of Ohms Law? Is Kirchhoff's Law just to prove Ohms Law or is there a time when you would have to use Kirchhoff's Law and not be able to use Ohms Law?

Sahib

For simple DC circuits such as with one loop, ohms law is enough to solve, But for multi-loop DC circuits ohms law is not enough to solve. Kirchoffs laws are required to solve the circuit in addition to ohms law.

kwired

Electron manager
Though some similarities Kirchoff's Laws focus on different details than Ohm's law.

Both Kirchoff's laws and Ohm's law are necessary to solve voltage/current problems.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Why would you ever use Kirchhoff's Law instead of Ohms Law? Is Kirchhoff's Law just to prove Ohms Law or is there a time when you would have to use Kirchhoff's Law and not be able to use Ohms Law?
They are both useful and although there is some overlap in what you can calculate with them, they are not completely interchangeable.

gar

Occupation
EE
130724-1353 EDT

Eddy Current:

Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws are not the same thing, and therefore not interchangeable.

See wiki for definitions.

Ohm's law is about the relationship of voltage and current in an invariant resistor. Actually the original experiment was relative to a conductive wire. Ohm's law relates to the conductivity of a material.

Kirchhoff's laws are about the sum of the voltages around a closed loop, and the sum of the currents at a point. The reason wiki has the reference --- circuit laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law 1825-1827
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws 1845
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage
Historically this quantity has also been called "tension"[4] and "pressure". Pressure is now obsolete but tension is still used, for example within the phrase "high tension" (HT) which is commonly used in thermionic valve (vacuum tube) based electronics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage

fifty60

A theorem is deductive and a law is empirical and proved every time the prescribed conditions are met. I think laws are interchangeable but theorem's are not 100% interchangeable with laws. You could use Kirchoffs Law in place of Ohms Law by not having to use Ohms law to find the current at every point of a series circuit, for example. Actually, one is probably a "prescribed condition" that has to be present in order to declare the other a Law? I think Ohms can exist without Kirchoffs, but Kirchoffs cannot be proven without Ohms law.

Eddy Current

A theorem is deductive and a law is empirical and proved every time the prescribed conditions are met. I think laws are interchangeable but theorem's are not 100% interchangeable with laws. You could use Kirchoffs Law in place of Ohms Law by not having to use Ohms law to find the current at every point of a series circuit, for example. Actually, one is probably a "prescribed condition" that has to be present in order to declare the other a Law? I think Ohms can exist without Kirchoffs, but Kirchoffs cannot be proven without Ohms law.

Ok i see now where i would have to use one to use the other but where i could not use just Kirchoffs law on a circuit problem without having to use Ohms Law as well.

Another question is some of the Kirchhoff's examples show two power sources. Can you use Ohms law on a circuit that has two power sources and how is that not back feeding?

kwired

Electron manager
Ok i see now where i would have to use one to use the other but where i could not use just Kirchoffs law on a circuit problem without having to use Ohms Law as well.

Another question is some of the Kirchhoff's examples show two power sources. Can you use Ohms law on a circuit that has two power sources and how is that not back feeding?
You must remember that a power source will also have an impedance. Connect a 1.5 volt battery in parallel with a 6 volt battery and no other components and the 1.5 volt battery essentially becomes a load to the 6 volt battery doesn't it?

Also in Kirchoffs law the closed circuit will always be broken down to a series circuit right?
I would say in most cases this is true, but put two sources in parallel and connect two loads in parallel to those sources and you have a circuit that really has no series component, so I say it is not always the case.

ggunn

Occupation
Kirchoff and Ohm are two tools, like a slotted and a Phillips screwdriver. There are screws that you can deal with only with one or the other, some that are merely easier with one than with the other, and some where you can use either with equal effort. To be effective in dealing with screws in general you need them both in your toolbox.

Last edited:

Sahib

Also in Kirchoffs law the closed circuit will always be broken down to a series circuit right?

Wrong.

That is Thevenin's way of solving a circuit.

In Kirchoff's method, a set of simultaneous equations replace a circuit to solve it.

Last edited:

eHunter

Kirchoff and Ohm are two tools, like a slotted and a Phillips screwdriver. There are screws that you can deal with only with one or the other, some that are merely easier with one than with the other, and some where you can use either with equal effort. To be effective in dealing with screws in general you need them both in your toolbox.

Mine are multi-use tools.
My phillips can double as a center punch and the straight blade(slotted) does duty as a chisel and sheet metal slitter with the help of some Kliens.

The electrical laws and theorems(tools) of Ohm, Kirchhoff, Thevenin, Norton and Maxwell are all tools to be used creatively in solving for electrical quantities and performing circuit analysis, either separately or in combination.
Generally they are used complementary to each other.

Last edited:

ggunn

Occupation
The electrical laws and theorems(tools) of Ohm, Kirchhoff, Thevenin, Norton and Maxwell are all tools to be used creatively in solving for electrical quantities and performing circuit analysis, either separately or in combination.
Generally they are used complementary to each other.
That's what I said, innit?

Status
Not open for further replies.