Are ungrounded GFCI sockets safe for expensive equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haskindm

Chappie said:
Conclusion of the story:

We asked them to ground the sockets in the living room and den, so that I could safely plug in my equipment. They countered grounding one socket of my choice in each room, and we accepted.

Thanks for all the input. I'm happy with how things turned out, and if I want to ground other stuff, I have the option to do so in the future.

How was this accomplished? I am not sure how you would install a grounding conductor to only one receptacle in the middle of of a circuit. If this was not done correctly you may have a bigger problem than the one you started with...

ultramegabob

haskindm said:
How was this accomplished? I am not sure how you would install a grounding conductor to only one receptacle in the middle of of a circuit. If this was not done correctly you may have a bigger problem than the one you started with...

my guess would be that they are probly going to run a new circuit from the panel, and just add a new recept location in each room where ever its wanted. thats what I would do....

haskindm

That would indeed be the best way to do this. From the way the OP has put it, I suspect that some "bootleg" ground was installed to the existing receptacle of his choice. I envision a separate ground rod being installed to "ground" these selected receptacles. I hope I am wrong.

jrclen

mdshunk said:
I have put the stickers on the back side of the plate during the couple times I've had an inspector insist on it.

The inspector signed off on the job yesterday. I asked him about the stickers and explained what the lady told me to do with the stickers. He laughed and told me he has a wife too. No labels required. :grin:

gar

Occupation
EE
080405-1917 EST USA

I second ultramegabob's suggestion in post 40. I have had one of these for 40 years at my home, and I also have some secondary protection nearer some equipment. In that time I have had one failure in a TV set that was probably lightning related.

About 25 years ago I had a computer directly connected via RS232 with a plotter. There was 30 ft or so of RS232 cable between the equipment. A lightning storm wiped out RS232 components at both ends. That is one reason that today I make and sell RS232 isolators. These also are a great solution to ground path noise problems, and provide high baud rate capability at long cable lengths.

Some side information. I check the ground path current individually on four different devices:
Hewlett-Packard 5Si laser printer, 10 MA.
An older computer, 3 MA.
A UPS power supply with nothing plugged in, 2 MA.
An 8 ft Slimline with a noise filter, 3 MA.

Since the input filters on these machines probably include capacitors from the power leads to the chassis and therefore to the cord ground pin I can expect the the signals from each to be phase correlated with the AC line and in turn should directly add to each other. If all four were connected to the same circuit, then the sum would be about 18 MA.

Last edited:

jrclen

I just received the monthly newsletter from our electric co-op. They offer a surge suppressor which mounts in the meter can. $6.50 per month on the electric bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.