Arlington catering to the hack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I saw an ad for this new device from Arlington in EC&M this month, and I couldn't help but think that this was sort of a de-volution of their ever broadening line of generally clever products.

Do you think it's a sign of lower quality to run a speaker cable directly out of the wall as opposed to installing a terminal plate to connect the speakers to?

I understand, the more terminations the more resistance and the lower sound quality, perhaps, but I have never liked the practice of running straight out of the wall. This seems to embrace and encourage that. What do you think?

http://www.aifittings.com/whnew112.htm

quogueelectric

George Stolz said:
I saw an ad for this new device from Arlington in EC&M this month, and I couldn't help but think that this was sort of a de-volution of their ever broadening line of generally clever products.

Do you think it's a sign of lower quality to run a speaker cable directly out of the wall as opposed to installing a terminal plate to connect the speakers to?

I understand, the more terminations the more resistance and the lower sound quality, perhaps, but I have never liked the practice of running straight out of the wall. This seems to embrace and encourage that. What do you think?

I do a lot of plasma tv installs and I really like it. Try pinning out an hdmi cable and you will be convinced too. I am certain this is what this was provided for.

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
quogueelectric said:
Try pinning out an hdmi cable and you will be convinced too. I am certain this is what this was provided for.
Good point, I can't imagine that. I don't even think there is a device plate for something like that, is there?

But, for regular old speakers...?

quogueelectric

George Stolz said:
Good point, I can't imagine that. I don't even think there is a device plate for something like that, is there?

But, for regular old speakers...?
Plasmas dont do well at high elevations it is just a sadness the deer valley crowd is stuck with lcd but that is not such a bad thing either. I personally have plasma. When it goes I will buy a new one.

jrannis

I went to a call that had a the LCD TV power cord disappearing into the wall which seems to be the norm with these type "professional" installations.
The inspection hit was that the fire inspector caught it as he was inspecting the Doctors office.
All was good except for the orange extension cord that the power cord was tywraped to. It was a nice new 14 guage 50 footer went up the wall, accross the ceiling down another wall out of another one of the Arlington things and plugged into a 20 amp outlet. It looked nice and neat but.......

mdshunk

Arlington didn't invent that "scoop" plate. That's been around for years by several manufacturers. They're pretty nice for HDMI cables and DB25's and such.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
Arlington didn't invent that "scoop" plate. That's been around for years by several manufacturers. They're pretty nice for HDMI cables and DB25's and such.
Yes, they have been and yes, they are. I've been doing AV installs for years, and I've used various styles of these "nose" plates in single- and two-gang styles.

I've also used DVI and HDMI inserts, as well as RCA, S-video, etc., inserts and keystones, but I won't solder digital cables for customers. It's not worth the headache.

marcerrin

Are they ever gonna come out with a "locking" HDMI cable end? Buggers are always falling out................

quogueelectric

marcerrin said:
Are they ever gonna come out with a "locking" HDMI cable end? Buggers are always falling out................
Thats because they always try to buy shortest length. I was taught by a home theatre guy to install component rca cables rgb and red white for audio I get 25 footers and 12 1/2 on ebay for less than 20 bucks for no callbacks on hdmi frozen screens. f they want hdmi I will put it in but not without a callback price warning.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
quogueelectric said:
I was taught by a home theatre guy to install component rca cables rgb and red white for audio.
I absolutely agree with component video over digital, but I'll take digital audio whenever possible.

I have a DVD player that upconverts to component, and it makes a difference. I haven't bought BluRay yet.

quogueelectric

LarryFine said:
I absolutely agree with component video over digital, but I'll take digital audio whenever possible.

I have a DVD player that upconverts to component, and it makes a difference. I haven't bought BluRay yet.
Me niether I hear it is great but I have hdmi and the quickest way to cure screen freeze is to quickly switch channels and back again with little fuss. This is hard to explain to someone who just spent 50 large on thier theatre system. It is not yet perfected much like bluetooth so we will struggle and try to make money on what we know. I just bought the fluke net jack thatt jacks the ethernet jack all 8 pins at once It will take a little while to get used to but I tried it last week and it worked nice.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
George Stolz said:

George , first let me say I do use Arlington products for many things, that aside I have always considered their products to be cheaply made bottom of the barrel stuff.

Work with some OZ-Gedney or Blackburn products for a while then go back to Arlington stuff. :grin:

But not every job can afford or deserves the top of the line stuff.

iwire

Staff member
quogueelectric said:
This is hard to explain to someone who just spent 50 large on their theater system.

There is something fundamentally wrong with spending 50K on a home TV. Spend the 50K on a trip and see things in 'High Def' with infinite surround sound live and in person.

(Of course I would happily install it and put the money in my bank)

HighWirey

George Stolz said:

I really like that entrance fitting. Other manufacturers may also vend something similar, and some may be better constructed.

You cannot beat a circuit of any type that has no intermediate failure points (read as terminal plate, or termination points) in its run.

Best Wishes Everyone

iwire said:
There is something fundamentally wrong with spending 50K on a home TV. Spend the 50K on a trip and see things in 'High Def' with infinite surround sound live and in person.

(Of course I would happily install it and put money in my bank)

It is all relative.
If you are making millions each year and have a fat bank account, $50k is not much money.

I say yeah to those who spend the millions on construction of the large to very large homes/businesses...it helps us 'poor' guys keep our jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

220/221

Seeing that most faults are at terminations, running the cable out of the wall eliminates 3 unnecessary points. I'm alll about simple and the stuff is buried behind the equipment anyway. I run them thru a mud ring and drill a blank to the appropriate size.

My stuff is all buried so I probably didn't even use a blank. Just a handful of cables coming thru a 2G mud ring.

I say yeah to those who spend the millions on construction of the large to very large homes/businesses...it helps us 'poor' guys keep our jobs.

I agree 100% Keep that money in circulation !!

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Belarge said:
It is all relative.
If you are making millions each year and have a fat bank account, $50k is not much money.

Yeah it's relative, and it's still stupid IMHO, it's is all about ego at that point.

Like I said, I am glad to help those with those large egos spend their cash on stuff to impress their county club buddies.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
There is something fundamentally wrong with spending 50K on a home TV.
Hey, I never said I actually spent that much on my system, only that it was worth that much.

Now that I think about it, I never said that either. :grin:

I don't really know how much it would cost to duplicate, but I can tell you I spent less than that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.