Attach grounded conductor to service enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychlo

Occupation
Professional Simpleton
Just curious, do you know what caused the melt down originally? the last fpe panel I saw burn was caused by the neutral from the POCO getting cut. Hoffman makes an enclosure that has lugs in it and is perfect for underground feeders that need extending or relocating.

Not sure. Everything that wasn't steel was completely incinerated inside the meter base. There is no trace (other than soot) of the service entrance conductors. The laterals were vaporized right down to the RMC downpipe. The panel wasn't too bad except for right around the feeder termination area.

The homeowners weren't home when it happened. However, he told me that they had notice some lights blink a few times in the previous couple of days. But that's not too uncommon around here in the wintertime, so he didn't think much of it.

I just learned from the utility that they are not going to allow a splice box after all. So I will be cutting concrete and re-trenching for new laterals. But thanks for the tip on the Hofman box. Maybe next time.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Not sure. Everything that wasn't steel was completely incinerated inside the meter base. There is no trace (other than soot) of the service entrance conductors. The laterals were vaporized right down to the RMC downpipe. The panel wasn't too bad except for right around the feeder termination area.

The homeowners weren't home when it happened. However, he told me that they had notice some lights blink a few times in the previous couple of days. But that's not too uncommon around here in the wintertime, so he didn't think much of it.

I just learned from the utility that they are not going to allow a splice box after all. So I will be cutting concrete and re-trenching for new laterals. But thanks for the tip on the Hofman box. Maybe next time.

Ya once they start to burn the smoke they put off will conduct and make the problem go faster.

Psychlo

Occupation
Professional Simpleton
I would replace the service lateral in lieu of splicing it. Who's responsible for the service lateral?

Well, it turns out the utility isn't giving me the choice. Said they want me to replace the laterals entirely so they don't have to "monitor" a splice box. Seems a little inconsistent to me. What's the difference between that and a CT can (i.e. 400A service)? Both are equally sealable. This is going to end up costing the homeowner over $2000 more than a splice would.

Status
Not open for further replies.