Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayS

Jim W in Tampa said:
Speakers are on outside wall now.

hopefully not pointed toward the too loud area? Sounds like you are stuck with some existing equipment and layout constraints. Ceiling speakers are not very friendly for focused use- if it is not possible to switch to a hung cabinet, I'd try to move them all towards the center of the floor.

One thing we used to do was put a pair of speakers at each corner of the dance floor- all pointing in. This helped a lot with getting some punch on the floor and not drowning out everything else.

I'd love to know if the active approach works- seems improbable to me unless you can control locations of the existing stuff precisely, as the delay required will change for each source(speaker) to be cancelled. Also would be an issue with broadband cancellation as the phase is generally not linear thru the electronics and speakers (notably crossovers) - for best effect you would have to adjust phase of the cancellation speakers by frequency.

Let us know how it works out for ya!

edited for clarity

Jim W in Tampa

Starting to see resuts.you all have helped,and thanks to moderators because this actually is outside of scope of forum.Toyed with spekers above dance floor and its helping,also 180 out speakers are helping.This is a small,club trying to get everything done in limited space and budget.
Suggestions on where to buy low end DB meter is needed.Nothing high end needed just means beyond ear to read levels within 10%

mxslick

I believe Radio Shack still has an SPL (sound pressure level) meter available that is around $50. It works very well and is surprisingly accurate and durable for such a low-priced product.

Trying to think of a source online, drawing a blank right now. But also try any electronic parts supplier in your area, and maybe even Fry's Electronics if you have then in Tampa.

e57

My acoustical experience is limited to general raving and speaker worship in my not-so-distant youth. But here goes.... Lows and highs transmit and are perceived differently by the ear and the body.

Highs and mid frequencies are more directional and tend to transmit on rigidly supported surfaces, and be reflected in much the same way light would. Like walls painted black or white.... In this case walls of smooth stiff surfaces will reflect ambient sound back around the room in areas not intended by speaker aiming - solutions include damping material, and non-rigid supported panels to reduce sound deflection into unwanted areas. Some places will suspend chain supported panels to block off certain areas or create 'acoustic shadows' at areas like the bar ordering, or dining areas.

Lows and sub lows work on two other methods perceived by the body and ear - sound pressure, and physical vibration creating sound coming from objects other than the speaker itself. Isolating the speaker cabinets from the building as best as possible will reduce vibration transmission to other surfaces and the bodies of people. The sound pressure can only be limited by closure of room openings to the area you want quieter - but you must also have a path for that pressure to escape from, and you can port, or actually use duct work to relieve unwanted pressure from the room. Many sub-woofers actually use the same principle in the speaker cabinets themselves. You can also make kind of an 'air lock' to eliminate sound from escaping through the front door or into kitchen or office areas in the same way using double doors and some fan forced ducting.

Another issue is distortion - it is a waste of speaker energy for one, and muddies the water so to speak. Any audiophile will tell you that you can easily carry a comfortable conversation over undistorted sound through better amplification and better speakers through better cross-overs.

However all of the above change the sound of the room for the many for the few - IMO the problem or "perceived problem" outside of certain persons wanting to be "entertained" in a night club environment while not becoming part of it - "sitting" right next to the "dance floor" and not expecting some noise must mean they are just lame tourists to the scene and should get up on their feet and rumber thumper themselves or just go home.... :rolleyes: :cool: Maybe just take out the tables and create a "Shuffle or wall flower Zone" for those who don't want to actually dance on the floor but just watch. This changes the activity in the area to something more conducive.

Status
Not open for further replies.