Automatic Cap Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

But plot of what? Why even two columns if they are derived values?
Who knows for sure? We really only have partial information.

But, if he wants to go out on a limb to attempt to disprove the typical 30% I've seen in dozens if not hundreds of motors with one atypical forty some year old motor, then fine.
I thought for a while that there might be some data from an area that you had not been exposed to that might prove enlightning, but the data is too fragmented.

Besoeker

Besoeker...

The test was carried out some 44 years ago. The mfg was ASEA, the Swedish partner, with Switzerland's Brown-Bovari,
Brown Boveri I think you'll find.

in one of the bost respected Electrical Apparatus Companies, ABB!
The test dates from 1968. ABB came into existence in 1988 when ASEA and BBC merged so ABB didn't exist when the tests were carried out, thus cannot have done so and weren't respected then since there was no such entity to respect.

Why do you insist the data to calculate the NLA/FLA ratio is questionable, thus unbelivable, hence atypical.
Several points here.
You kindly provided test data and I don't and haven't in any way, shape, or form questioned the veracity of that data.
It thus goes without question that I don't think it unbelievable in the slightest - where on earth did you conjure up that notion?
My questioning is what the test set up was and how and where the instrumentation was connected.
Just for the record, I have attended many tests on rotating machines quite a few of wich have been for the petrochem sector. The usual drill for as long as I can remember is for a FAT document to be produced and agreed upon by all parties - supplier, customer, main contractor, and end user.
This provides, in detail, all the tests that are to be done, how the instrumentation is set up, calibration certificates for every instrument used and..... etc.

And, in the context of the original system described it is most certainly atypical taken at face value.

In closing, you are the "typical" PtP engineer... "You catch mice and let elephants go free"!
Resorting to personal deprecating comments reminds me of a Chinese proverb:
"The man who strikes the first blow admits that he lost the argument."
I have no intention of reciprocating in kind. It's not my way and the mods take a dim view of it. Rightly so.

I strongly suggest, if you want additional detail, contact ABB!
Up to you, sunshine.
You presented the data.

Last edited:

Besoeker

Who knows for sure? We really only have partial information.

I thought for a while that there might be some data from an area that you had not been exposed to that might prove enlightning, but the data is too fragmented.

Thank you mivey.
You made my points much more succinctly than I.

Phil Corso

Mivey...

Would you want to see additional test data: 1) An ASEA 6,500Hp motor with a NLA/FLA ratio of about 22%; the other a Westinghouse 600Hp motor, with a NLA/FLA ratio of about 15%?

Regards, Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.