Balancing fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvis_931

I installed some fans the other day and tried my best to balance them. 2 were balanced good, but there are 2 others that I just could not get balanced right. No matter what I do I still cannot get the wobble out. I really need some help with this. I need to go back and get them right. Anyone have any tips on the best way to get these to stop wobbling? I would sure be gratefull:D

growler

elvis_931 said:
Anyone have any tips on the best way to get these to stop wobbling?:D

Turn fan off.

First off, are these good quality fans or the super cheap one's from Wal-Mart. On a good quality fan you can often get rid of the wobble by loosening the screws that hold the fan blade brackets just a little and let it run a little, then tighten the screws. If this doesn't get it then you can try the weights.

The best way to assure that there is little wobble is to assemble correctly. Never let the fan blade brackets get bent. I don't install the blades until the motor is up ( no chance for it to lean over and bend the brackets ). ;)

If these are real cheap fans you may never get the wobble out of them.:mad:

3 things cause wobble

3 things cause wobble

3 things cause wobble

1) loose J-box or mounting
2) balance
3) Pitch of the blades. Just like an airplane prop. if the pitch(angle/slope/bend) of just one blade is off then it will grab more or less air when spinning. Causing the blade that is off to dive or float.
If this is the problem your S.O.L.

elvis_931

growler said:
Turn fan off.

First off, are these good quality fans or the super cheap one's from Wal-Mart. On a good quality fan you can often get rid of the wobble by loosening the screws that hold the fan blade brackets just a little and let it run a little, then tighten the screws. If this doesn't get it then you can try the weights.

The best way to assure that there is little wobble is to assemble correctly. Never let the fan blade brackets get bent. I don't install the blades until the motor is up ( no chance for it to lean over and bend the brackets ). ;)

If these are real cheap fans you may never get the wobble out of them.:mad:

They are Harbor Breeze fans. Not the best, but they are a good quality built fan. I tried the weight clip on just about every spot on every blade, but could not get it just right. I did not think to loosen the screws and let it run. I don't install the blades til last either. Thank you for the help growler.

mtnelectrical

Well you would need to try everything first before you could say tha it can't be done, right? Going back to #3 Jeff's suggestion, try to see if by any chance the brackets have the same angle, move your ladder couple feet away, put the fan in low speed and see if all the blades are in the same plane. If they are not, try to bend it slightly if possible, you might get rid of some wobbling this way. And what does S.O.L mean?

growler

Jeff Weissman Electric said:
Pitch of the blades. Just like an airplane prop. if the pitch(angle/slope/bend) of just one blade is off then it will grab more or less air when spinning. Causing the blade that is off to dive or float.
If this is the problem your S.O.L.

Jeff, your post started me to thinking ( always looking for the better mouse trap ). I have tried to eye-ball the pitch of the blades without much luck. You need to back off to see it yet you need to be close to correct it. What's needed is an accurate way to measure the pitch of the blades when you are close enough to make the correction. I just went to the van and got my dial type protractor ( I use this to measure the angle of existing pipe if I'm trying to match it, offset ). I'll wait until I get an old fan with bent blade brackets but I think this may allow an accurate reset of pitch. If this works I'll market it as the De-wobbelator. Many blades get bent as people are cleaning that are not carefull or they are carrying something large through the house. :wink:

macmikeman

I bet that those stick on to the wall laser levels that they sell pretty cheap would work for this operation quite well. Set it to just a micron or two above the top of any blade, slow spin the fan by hand and watch to see which blade lights up. That's the blade that got bent.

lquadros

Wobble

Wobble

One thing I'd do is, disemble all blades and lay them on top of one another to ensure that they are all exactly the same. Then I'd do the same with brackets
just to make sure that nothing is bent or out of shape. Let us know how you make out.

stickboy1375

Boy, I've installed hundred's of fans and never had 1 wobble, except the few that were on 8' rods, (but what do you expect) check the blades, usually the have a lot # on them, maybe someone in packing screwed up...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
bjp_ne_elec said:
This isn't balance related, but what regulates minimum clearance to the blades? Most you can mount flush or hang with the supplied short rod.

The minimum clearance to the blades is usually measured from the floor-- I believe it is 7" or something like that. It is there so someone doesn't mount the fan 6' off the floor and cut someones head off. :grin:

It doesn't however regulate the height from the bed. So little kids can jump up and cut their little heads off. :D

ty

I agree with Jeff.

Check the junction box , first.

If it is tight, check pitch.

If correct, swap any two.

If it still wobbles,
pick any blade and install clip that comes with weights on high side of blade, somewhere close to center.

Turn fan on and check balance.

Put clip on center of next blade, and check again.
Do this to all blades and note which time the fan has the least wobble.

Then move clip halfway towards motor on that blade, and check again. Move it halfway to tip, and check again.

With this method, I have not found a fan that cannot be balanced.

Hope this helps.

S.O.L.
(S*** out of Luck)?

-Todd

stickboy1375

Pierre C Belarge said:
When installing those cheap fans, it sounds like a lot of work to get them to not wobble...how does one price that?

I figure an hour to assemble and install a ceiling fan, unless they are super expensive fans with more parts than a 100 piece puzzle, so you can only spend so much time on something, most cheap fans will wobble so I don't worry too much about it...

JES2727

Unless the wobble is really excessive, I usually just leave the balance kit on a table next to the owners manual and point it out to the customer as I'm collecting my money. If I didn't provide the fan I can't be responsible for its performance, as long as I'm confident it's mounted properly. Years ago I would go nuts trying to balance fans, and I always ended up giving away too much of my time. Sometimes I still lose time if the remote or the light kit doesn't work.

growler

Pierre C Belarge said:
When installing those cheap fans, it sounds like a lot of work to get them to not wobble...how does one price that?

Most of the people that buy the really cheap fans don't hire an electrician to do the install in the first place. If you do run into one you just tell the customer up front that it's probably not going to work perfectly. What can they expect from a $30 fan anyway. I advise customers not to waste their money, for a few dollars more they can get one that will last.

If you put them in homes that are to be sold or rented the seller/landlord doesn't care anyway. They go well with the $10 light fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.