basic phone jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampage_Rick

568B is moreso found in the US, whereas 568A is in Canada, though you can choose either.

So long as you use the same scheme at both ends of the cable, they are no different electrically. The ONLY time you'd want to mix the two on the same cable would be if you wanted to connect 2 computers directly, without any hub or switch in between.

I'm preferential to 568A for one reason: The wire pairings in the RJ-45 jack match that of RJ-12 phone jacks. If you plug in a 2-line phone, the pinout has Line 1 on WH/BL and Line 2 on WH/OR

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Thanks all for information regarding 568A and 568B.

The "B" is like fire alarm...B is better (not an "A" loop)

Except when I go to Canada ("A") eh? :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm preferential to 568A for one reason: The wire pairings in the RJ-45 jack match that of RJ-12 phone jacks. If you plug in a 2-line phone, the pinout has Line 1 on WH/BL and Line 2 on WH/OR
That's kinda-sorta why I prefer using B; there's a visible (and easy to explain to someone) difference.

Cold Fusion

I also trim and fan like you mentioned, but unless you hold tension on your wires to make sure they are bottomed out on the connector while crimping, most likely the green one will end up a little short

Well yeah, you can't let them go after you positioned them and cut them to length. You have to hold them as you slide them into the plug as long as you can till they are bottomed out.
I'm likely the only one goofy enough to buy a particular RJ-45 connector that lets the wires stick clear through. Leave them long, pull them up tight, the crimper cuts the wires off flush when it crimps the connector.

Bought them from a local electrical supply house - leviton p/n as I recall. Slicker than sliced bread.

cf

I'm likely the only one goofy enough to buy a particular RJ-45 connector that lets the wires stick clear through. Leave them long, pull them up tight, the crimper cuts the wires off flush when it crimps the connector.

Bought them from a local electrical supply house - leviton p/n as I recall. Slicker than sliced bread.

cf

I have also taken to using one of these. the brand I have is Platinum Tools EZ-RJ45. Only downside I have found is the connectors are over double the price of the levitons I used to buy.

brussell

It is true that when using a patch panel, it doesn't matter which scheme you use as long as you are consistant on both ends. 568B is common in commercial work because it is the AT&T standard and they already had an installed base of millions of RJ-45 jacks. 568A is the correct one for homes because of it's backward compatability to the old USOC analog RJ-11 jacks. Here's why 568A is the residential standard:

All structured cable cabinets (OnQ, Leviton, etc.) have an optional telephone module that the Cat.5's punch onto in a row of "110 blocks" so that all the home's phone jacks work just like the old daisychain method. Great for 1 or 2 line analog phones, just plug in any jack and Lines 1 & 2 appear the same everywhere.

These telco modules are fed by the incoming C.O. lines to distribute throughout the house. The telephone company will provide dial tone to the house in the conventional order (i.e. Line 1 on the blue pair, Line 2 on the orange pair, 3 on green, and 4 on brown).

Therefore, if 568B was used, Line 2 (orange) ends up at the wrong position (pins 1,2) on the new larger RJ-45 jacks to be useful with standard phones.

76nemo

cf

You're not alone. I do it the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.