Best approach???

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I literally have about 4,000' of 2" main run of RMC with 1-1/2" branch offs. What would be the most effecient way to transport all the conduit along the install path as it gets installed? BTW those are light poles and handholes. Handholes being set by GC.

1714760825284.png

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Your question is answered by what you have that will work. Doesn't require a lot of thought, but this reminds of a trick mu mentor told me, I never got a change to try. hand start each stick of the run then lock a pipe wrench with an extension handle on one end, and chuck the other end up in you Ridgid 300. turn it on until the entire run is tight. Move on. So If I could set it up ideal, I would use a 4 wheel truck and trailer, with the threader bolted to it. I would straddle the trench with the trailer and screw pipe together and pull forward one piece at a time.

Strathead

Occupation
FYI, I would still use labor for one conduit is a trench and put in the cost of a truck and trailer. If you beat the estimate then great. If your competition wants to low ball it, let him have it. That work is grueling.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That reminds me of what I did when I took SCUBA lessons in summer camp. One of the exercises was to assemble threaded plumbing parts under water while holding your breath.

The parts were a 2" pipe cap, a 2" nipple, a 2"x1.5" reducer, a 1.5" nipple, a 1.5" x 1.25" reducer, a 1.25" nipple, a 1.25" x 1" reducer, a 1" nipple, etc., ending with a 1/2" pipe cap.

I started all of the threads with about one turn, until I had the entire thing put together, and only then did I pay attention to screwing them together with the breath I had left.

An advantage of not wrench-tightening runs between boxes, elbows, and tees until you put them together is that you can aim the side legs without having to have a loose joint.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that you'll some sort of flat bed truck or box with a rig to cut and thread the pipe and make bends. You'll need a generator on the truck to run the threader and bender, a pipe vise, and some sort of material storage for couplings, etc. A trailer would work but that depends on the terrain and trailers can be a nightmare to back up in close quarters.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I think that you'll some sort of flat bed truck or box with a rig to cut and thread the pipe and make bends. You'll need a generator on the truck to run the threader and bender, a pipe vise, and some sort of material storage for couplings, etc. A trailer would work but that depends on the terrain and trailers can be a nightmare to back up in close quarters.
Can't bend 1-1/2 & 2" RGS by hand? Assuming not very easy at all and power bender much easier????

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
A few questions related to this.

1. THis job is a year long and all outdoors. I think it makes sense to account for "weather days" meaning the men start working and due to rain etc. have to wrap it up but get paid for full day. So I would account for "lost time" say 1/2 day lost per man/women for certain amount of days per month or look at hisotrical weather data and figure more or less based on month. Say April has more rain and Feb has more snow etc. Make sense??
2. So you think it's unreasonable for 2 electricians to be able to install 100' RGS in an 18" trench in a 7 hour workday? A straight run with no bends? Each end would end up in handhole where they would have to cut and thread only one end? Remeber they get lunch and there would be some setup and breakdown time so if I had ot guess the actual allotted time for install might be a 4-5 hour window? So 2 men 4-5vhours? Seem like they could get a lot more in.

Strathead

Occupation
A few questions related to this.

1. THis job is a year long and all outdoors. I think it makes sense to account for "weather days" meaning the men start working and due to rain etc. have to wrap it up but get paid for full day. So I would account for "lost time" say 1/2 day lost per man/women for certain amount of days per month or look at hisotrical weather data and figure more or less based on month. Say April has more rain and Feb has more snow etc. Make sense??
2. So you think it's unreasonable for 2 electricians to be able to install 100' RGS in an 18" trench in a 7 hour workday? A straight run with no bends? Each end would end up in handhole where they would have to cut and thread only one end? Remeber they get lunch and there would be some setup and breakdown time so if I had ot guess the actual allotted time for install might be a 4-5 hour window? So 2 men 4-5vhours? Seem like they could get a lot more in.
Unless I miss my mark, you are asking from an estimating perspective on this. If so, my two cents is STOP. You are putting WAY too much thought in to it. Use the labor standards established by your company. If you don't have GRC underground standards, then come up with a multiplier, probably about .6 and live with it.