Bonding alluminium siding

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
As far as UL listings of the connections, when structural metal is bonded (per NEC 250.104C in say a pre-engineered metal building, do you require that every metal structural member is provided with a bonding conductor or jumper? Or do you rely on the bolted connection between members?

Thats a good point but those structural members are in fact welded or bolted together. One section of AL siding does not really connect to another.

As an example I have been doing solar installations, one of the toughest things to accomplish is proper bonding of the metal panel frames to the support rails, nuts. Everything has to be UL listed to work together.

Cavie

Handle it just as Florida does with metal stud framing. Hit it only once if it is all continous. Just as you would do for a mobil home. HI can not make you do anything. He can only sugjest. And this sugjestion is stupid and you can tell him that the card carying licensed electric inspectors on this form said so. Give the HO an estimate and stand back.

srisser

The situation I was referring to would be metal siding that is installed in post-frame type construction where certain structural metal panels actually serve as wind bracing in the shear walls. This is typical in residential and commercial construction projects.

I perceive in the case of the first post in this thread, the aluminum siding was installed as an exterior wall covering only and not a structural member.....no bonding req'd in my opinion. I merely wanted to make the readers aware that bonding siding may require paint removal which may void the siding warranty if not done properly.

Brian....I would watch where you "wee wee".....http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_electrocution_takes_young/

raider1

Staff member
The situation I was referring to would be metal siding that is installed in post-frame type construction where certain structural metal panels actually serve as wind bracing in the shear walls. This is typical in residential and commercial construction projects.

I have never see metal siding used for lateral bracing in a post-frame building. Lateral bracing is usually accomplished with cross bracing with tension wires and structural beams and columns.

Chris

Rick Christopherson

I have never see metal siding used for lateral bracing in a post-frame building. Lateral bracing is usually accomplished with cross bracing with tension wires and structural beams and columns.

Chris
Correct. Aluminum siding cannot be used in this manner due to expansion and contraction, which is why the nailing/stapling slots are, well, slots. Moreover, you cannot achieve any structural rigidity in a perpendicular line to the framing, unless the panels are secured at both top and bottom, forming a rectangle versus a single straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.