Bonding the Emergency Disconnect/Service Disconnect

MHower

Occupation
Electrician
I am installing a 200 amp service upgrade on a residential dwelling. I will be replacing the meter socket and main panel as well as an outdoor disconnect labeled Emergency Disconnect/Service disconnect. I will be grounding the meter socket. Is it appropriate to install the MBJ in the disconnect and main service panel which has a main disconnect breaker?

Last edited:

MHower

Occupation
Electrician
With your setup, the MBJ would only be installed at the exterior disconnect and you would need a separate equipment grounding conductor and neutral into the interior panel.
Ok…
So if I run SER between the disc and panel and ground the panel to the metal water pipe, will this complete the grounding/bonding grid?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I will be grounding the meter socket. Is it appropriate to install the MBJ in the disconnect and main service panel which has a main disconnect breaker?
I assume by saying grounding the meter socket you mean that the GEC will terminate in the meter enclosure? The service disconnect is also the emergency disconnect so the MBJ gets installed there. As Ken stated you'll need an EGC in the feeder to the panel and all of the EGC's and neutrals in that panel are on separate buses. Since your panel has a main you could make that the service disconnect and install the MBJ there then you'll only need 3 conductors to the panel.

shortcircuit2

I am installing a 200 amp service upgrade on a residential dwelling. I will be replacing the meter socket and main panel as well as an outdoor disconnect labeled Emergency Disconnect/Service disconnect. I will be grounding the meter socket. Is it appropriate to install the MBJ in the disconnect and main service panel which has a main disconnect breaker?
What Code Cycle?

Which type meter socket and emergency disconnect equipment?

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
What a simply wonderful code section this is! I don't know if the NFPA could have created more confusion if they tried to. Throw in AHJs that make it up as they go. What could possibly go wrong.