Breaker lugs too small for wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV ELECTRIC

By saying "at least for this code cycle" you imply that you believe the option is something that should be removed for future codes. Why do you feel this way? It's a perfectly safe, compliant installation.

Pigtailig to lights and recepticals with smaller wire is fine but splicing at the source doesnt seem like the best way to go I understand in situations there may not be an alternative are stab in recepticals compliant yes have they limit there use over the years buy eliminating #12 for this application ? Ide prefer ordering a breaker with larger lugs Will they or should they look at this in the future maybe only time will tell

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't see a parallel between backstabbed receptacles and pigtailing an upsized feeder at all. One has a questionable termination method, the other does not.

ptrip

...but splicing at the source doesn't seem like the best way to go ...

I guess I'm confused. The amount of power available at the source and the amount of power at the end are the same (essentially). Why would splicing at the beginning be worse than splicing at the end?

Truth be told ... when performing arc flash calculations at a prior job I found that the arc flash hazards were much greater the further away from the breaker you were. This was due to the time lag of the arc incident and the breaker shutting down. Theoretically, this means that the closer the splice (weak point) is to the protective device the better.

Thoughts?

iwire

Staff member
Pigtailig to lights and recepticals with smaller wire is fine but splicing at the source doesnt seem like the best way to go I understand in situations there may not be an alternative are stab in recepticals compliant yes have they limit there use over the years buy eliminating #12 for this application ? Ide prefer ordering a breaker with larger lugs Will they or should they look at this in the future maybe only time will tell

Picture this, we do a lot of large buildings, on one large warehouse the prints called for 4 AWG copper to supply the roof top 20 amp 125 volt service receptacles.

How would you connect a 4 AWG to a standard 20 amp 125 volt breaker?

AV ELECTRIC

I don't see a parallel between backstabbed receptacles and pigtailing an upsized feeder at all. One has a questionable termination method, the other does not.

Its just a comment on how the code evolves over the years as we find out new information on material and installation and its relation to safety

AV ELECTRIC

I guess I'm confused. The amount of power available at the source and the amount of power at the end are the same (essentially). Why would splicing at the beginning be worse than splicing at the end?

Truth be told ... when performing arc flash calculations at a prior job I found that the arc flash hazards were much greater the further away from the breaker you were. This was due to the time lag of the arc incident and the breaker shutting down. Theoretically, this means that the closer the splice (weak point) is to the protective device the better.

Thoughts?

The consensus says you are correct. Is this a big deal as pertaining to voltage drop ? probably not . I prefer to limit splices as much as i can especially with higher loads.

AV ELECTRIC

Picture this, we do a lot of large buildings, on one large warehouse the prints called for 4 AWG copper to supply the roof top 20 amp 125 volt service receptacles.

How would you connect a 4 AWG to a standard 20 amp 125 volt breaker?

Can you special order a breaker with a larger lug ? ive done it for larger breakers ime not sure if you can for smaller yes there are limitations on what we can do with the material that is available and time frame

iwire

Staff member
Can you special order a breaker with a larger lug ? ive done it for larger breakers ime not sure if you can for smaller yes there are limitations on what we can do with the material that is available and time frame

These are standard one inch single pole breakers, you would not get them with a lug for 4 AWG.

But again why? There is no quality, functionality, code reason, or safety issue with splicing on some 10 AWG to the 4 AWG which is what we did at the panel end.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When mixing conductors in long runs for VD I have always liked putting the larger conductors somewhere in the middle and ends of the run just for confussion purposes. :grin:

Roger

mivey

When mixing conductors in long runs for VD I have always liked putting the larger conductors somewhere in the middle and ends of the run just for confussion purposes. :grin:

Roger
If there's anything I hate, it's being confussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.