Breaker lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmith

Have a 1200 amp breaker with lugs for 4x 500mcm cables. Existing installation has 3x 600mcm cables run. Underground.(read: hard to replace). Is there an approved method of making the connection? (Or a good supplier of lugs?) The only lugs we've found are too big.
Thanks.

pcb1

Re: Breaker lugs

It totally depends on the manufacturer of the breaker and the frame type. All 1200 amp breakers have standard lugs and optional lugs. For instance, if you have a GE TKMA31200 1200a breaker the standard lugs are TCAL121 which have a wire rating of (4) 250-350 kcmil Cu or (4) 250-500 kcmil Al. There are optional lugs TCAL124 which have a wire rating (3) 300-750 kcmil Cu/Al. This is an example of GE, but again it depends on the frame type you have and the manufacturer. Let me know and I'll see if I can help you.

mrsmith

All I'm told is that it's an ABB S7 breaker. They dont seem to be having any luck finding lugs. Perhaps the breaker is too old. We're trying to find a "work-around" for the 3x600 wier to 4x500 terminal problem.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

pcb1

You're absolutely right. ABB does not offer anything but the standard (4) 4/0-500kcmil lugs. You may be able to get an extended lug from ILSCO that can be adapted to fit your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.