Bridle rings "For use with non-data sensitive cabling."

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Hanging up the cable TV, speaker, phone wires in my basement I'm using Bridle Rings. The threads screw into the joists overhead, and the assorted cables slip through a wide spot in the ring, and are suspended gracefully above my head.

I ordered a new box, and the label on the side said, "For use with non-data sensitive cabling." Other than not overloading the ring or bending a cable trying to slip it through the gap in the ring, I can't see any reason for this warning.

Any thoughts??

1710270966097.jpeg

cabledawg

Occupation
cable dude
If its a Finished Basement, you could use some 1" Panduit if the cables are unsitely to hide the wires. If unfinished, and TGI's are exposed, possibly drill a hole big enough for the desired cables about half way up the joist to keep them protected too. Just my 2 cents.

PaulMmn

Occupation
If its a Finished Basement, you could use some 1" Panduit if the cables are unsitely to hide the wires. If unfinished, and TGI's are exposed, possibly drill a hole big enough for the desired cables about half way up the joist to keep them protected too. Just my 2 cents.
Two reasons not to-- (1) I'm too lazy to drill all those holes-- (2) the cables are already run; they're just being moved to the walls and 'neatened up.' Bridle rings can be used 'after.'

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I've used those bridle rings for CAT6 all over my house. All my cables test just fine. Who knows why they're labeled that way.

SceneryDriver

ModbusMan

Occupation
Building Automation Engineer
I ordered a new box, and the label on the side said, "For use with non-data sensitive cabling." Other than not overloading the ring or bending a cable trying to slip it through the gap in the ring, I can't see any reason for this warning.
Perhaps they're worried about the ring's steel playing games with the tiny RF field that's generated as the signals go zipping by? I used 2in PVC conduit clamps while doing my house, but there were also over 20 CAT-6A and RG-6Q cables making the trek across that portion of an unfinished basement, so the use case was a little different...

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Perhaps they're worried about the ring's steel playing games with the tiny RF field that's generated as the signals go zipping by?
No. :rolleyes: The problem is with support and how the ring, because of the small diameter rod it's made of could cause a deformity at the point that the cable is held by the ring as it sags. Deformities are a no-no and will disrupt the characteristics of the cable which can cause a lower data rate. Whether or not you will ever notice it without a certifier is a good question though.

This is also why Ty-raps are forbidden and J-hooks, with their large smooth support surface is recommended.

-Hal

ModbusMan

Occupation
Building Automation Engineer
I think you're grossly overestimating how much deflection is going to occur with the ring holding up the cable (unless it gets used as a clothesline, but that's an entirely different issue).

PaulMmn

Occupation
By the time I got all of my cables in the bridle rings there wasn't a lot of sag for any of them! :)