Bundling Of Nmc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
kornbln said:
My house was built in 1968, all wired with NM and from what I've seen it all comes into the panel in a single hole through the top of the framing. No derating going on that I know of... When did bundling become an issue?

As stated before this became an issue in 2005 NEC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
sparky59 said:
if you have 7 14-2 cables in one hole there's not going to be much room for fire caulking.

Maybe you found a loophole. Fill the holes pack full of conductors and then there is no fire caulking. No derating- no problem.:grin:

peter d

Like this?

DSC00093-1.jpg

kornbln

So if the bundled NM in my house is about 4ft, is it unsafe to max out every circuit at once? Are houses that were wired under an older NEC considered "unsafe" because things change so much?

Jim W in Tampa

kornbln said:
My house was built in 1968, all wired with NM and from what I've seen it all comes into the panel in a single hole through the top of the framing. No derating going on that I know of... When did bundling become an issue?

And in 68 we did know near enough,not my fault i just graduated from hs.
We must live with our mistakes.At the time we permitted this and i think 40 years has proved it wasnt a big issue.

wbalsam1

In the pictures provided just above this frame...how would the spacing be maintained? It looks to me as though the cables in the inner core of this massive bundle would have no way to dissipate the heat that they could generate by loads they're serving,adjacent cables serving loads and affecting adjacent cables and the ambient temperature within the environment they're in......

Status
Not open for further replies.