Bundling Romex into Service Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nium

310.15(B)(2)(a) Exception No. 3
Explicitly states derating factors shall not apply to conductors in nipples that aren't longer then 24 in.

muckusmc

Chapter 9, Notes (4): Where conduit or tubing nipples having a maximum length not to exceed 600 mm (24 in) are installed between boxes, cabinets, and similar enclosures, the nipples shall be permitted to be filled to 60 percent of their total cross-sectional area, and 310.15(B)(2)(a) adjustment factors need not apply to this condition.

Where is the other enclosure - Load center is one and the nipples go where?

Nium

Where is the other enclosure - Load center is one and the nipples go where?

310.15(B)(2)(a) Exception No. 3 Doesn't make any reference to the nipples being between any enclosures, boxes, cabinets, etc. so derating factors from Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) still would not apply.

muckusmc

310.15(B)(2)(a) Exception No. 3 Doesn't make any reference to the nipples being between any enclosures, boxes, cabinets, etc. so derating factors from Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) still would not apply.

My contention is that it is NOT a nipple but more of a protective sleeve.
I feel that a nipple must go between two enclosures.

This method violates 334. 30. Also, when using the duct putty, any hole being draft stopped, gets derated according to 310.15 (b) (2) (A)

I am not sure where 334.30 comes to play in this installation.

Also, the putty is not for draft stopping purposes. And, it is not any hole for draftstopping, the requirement of 334.80, the second paragraph is relative to wood bored framing.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The requirements of 312.5(C)exception, seem to me to be relatively easy to follow. I am not sure why I see this type of installation in violation so often.

I think a great number of the folks doing that type install are "flying by the seat of their pants" and don't know 312.5 exists.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Chapter 9, Notes (4): Where conduit or tubing nipples having a maximum length not to exceed 600 mm (24 in) are installed between boxes, cabinets, and similar enclosures, the nipples shall be permitted to be filled to 60 percent of their total cross-sectional area, and 310.15(B)(2)(a) adjustment factors need not apply to this condition.
But that does not deal with the conduit fill and derating....it deals with conduit (nipple) length and derating. I stand by my statement that the percentage of fill has nothing to do with derating. Derating is only based on the number of current carrying conductors, but as the rule you cited says, derating only applies where the conductors are bundled together or in a raceway for more than 24".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.