Bus/Terminal Bars/Blocks for Mobile Power, Stage Lighting, Distribution Box

Ratfink

Occupation
Engineer
Hi Everyone,

Im currently building a mobile Power Distribution Box, 220/110 VAC Single Phase. They are used for Stage Lighting, Music equipment. Looks similar to THIS.

Will use Mini Breakers, typical 110 VAC plug outlets and 220 VAC Dryer Plug Outlets. Essentially a mobile breaker box with outlets.

My Question is regarding connecting the incoming 4/0 Neutral and both Hot wires to seperate Bus Bars inside box.
  • Does anyone make a 200 amp Bus Bar that is designed like Grounding Bars with the screw wire clamps. A larger version of THIS that can handle 200amps one for each Hot wire and the Neutral?
There are Copper Bus Bar available in various sizes that will work however they all use nuts & bolts for wire fastening to bus bar. Which would mean I would have to crimp wire connectors on every wire and bolt to Bus Bar instead of bare wire to screw clamps.

Any thoughts or ideas related to Bus Bar Options with screw clamps would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thankyou all in advance.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The problem is, ground busses are easy, because they don’t normally carry current. As soon as you have bus bars to carry current, you need fault bracing and listing, which is related to temperature rise and other complex factors.

That said, there ARE commercially available pre-engineered bus systems out there. The simplest method to find them is to go to the major enclosure manufacturers like Hoffman, Rittal and other major brands, or the major control equipment manufacturers such as Rockwell, Siemens and ABB, they all have them. Behind the scenes, those are mostly brand labeled from other specialty manufacturers like Wohner, but those are harder to find independently (with UL listing).

Ratfink

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks Jraef,

I found Busbar Terminal Cable Clamps, BK Series, which is perfect for what I need. Like BK5 Terminal Clamp. However I cant find them local or even online in quantities like in 100, or 500 packs... Im seeing prices anywhere from $5 to $25 each... overseas It seems they are $0.98 ea... still high...

I called Platt, guess Ill see what they quote at... Im sure they wont be cheap... Ill probably be stuck with drilling holes in Copper Flat Bar, with wire crimps, nuts, bolts....

Not to derail the question, but why are you building one???? There are many out there to buy, with someone else's name on them in case of failure, often with a NRTL listing, etc. I've built them before and you couldn't pay me to make one now, the labor would exceed the cost of buying. They're a lot of work, especially if you have to research and purchase all the parts at near-retail prices.

"Dryer plug" output? Do you mean NEMA 10-20 or 14-30? I can't think of any place that uses either for stage or temporary power distribution, and the 10-30 would be highly unsuitable for anything but a clothes dryer. More common for 240/120v 50a would be a NEMA 14-50 range receptacle or a CS/spider-box/RV type connector (CS8269 for the panel-mount female). For 30 amp, a L14-30 is quite common.

Save the time and effort and buy one from a reputable manufacturer.

Ratfink

Occupation
Engineer
I appreciate the suggestion in purchase however.

1. The price is over 18k for something that wont come close to my requirements.
2. I need a specific custom box preliminary design requirements... with 40 nema L620R's, 20, 50 amp Twist Lock Receptacles, 10 RV. Built in 30hp Rotary Phase Converter, 14 three phase outlets in variuos 20, 40, 63, 80 amps, WiFi Smart Breakers with onboard power meters. Etc... etc....

As much as purchasing something premade... would be easier, expense, and requirements are not doable.

I used the reference to Mobile Stage Type power distribution box link as a rough example of what I was doing in case I did not descibe Busbar Terminal options correctly.

IHave an order for Terminal Cable Clamps and 600amp Busbars....1/4x2 in, Cable Clamps are not a popular item in usa, Everywhere else in the world including Atlantis has krillions of them even in Cracker Jack Secret Toy Surprises. Have to be direct order from Wohner/Rockwell.

Ratfink

Occupation
Engineer
Hi petersonra,

Thankyou for the suggestion.
But I would not have anyway to connect the seperate Front Panel Mount Mini Breakers, HERE...

I have several Breaker Panels and if I could make use of them It would certainly be easier. Also I may not be understanding your suggestion on use so please elaborate if this is the case.

Thankyou for your time and help.

Best regards

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi petersonra,

Thankyou for the suggestion.
But I would not have anyway to connect the seperate Front Panel Mount Mini Breakers, HERE...

I have several Breaker Panels and if I could make use of them It would certainly be easier. Also I may not be understanding your suggestion on use so please elaborate if this is the case.

Thankyou for your time and help.

Best regards
If you have a panelboard you would not need any other breakers. You would have a place to tie your neutrals and grounds in. Bus bar built in.

Ratfink

Occupation
Engineer
Thankyou all again for your replies and suggestions.

If there was another way...

This endevour is for my needs. As (Zbang) pointed out these are labor/time intensive and expensive. I have the equipment, cnc laser/router cutter, and can make custom front panels.

Im in two buildings with no power, breaker box, pipe/wiring, or outlets. Power supplied from generator/solar. Due to circumstances, location, restrictions, will be several years before proper solution.

I will post images as I build to completion.

Ratfink

Occupation
Engineer
If you have a panelboard you would not need any other breakers. You would have a place to tie your neutrals and grounds in. Bus bar built in.
I need to have front panel access to breakers.

Im building similar to attached image. I did give that option a thought but need front panel access to breakers.

IMG_20240504_072905.png

Ratfink

Occupation
Engineer
ALTHOUGH????

A Breaker Panel could be built into a rear door??? Then have breaker access and access to internals from back side. Your idea is better as far as ease, more affordable, time savings...

I can automate my needs from front access with monitoring and software. Then I could go with your suggestion.

...and this is why Forums are a great way to request knowledge prior to starting a project....

Im in two buildings with no power, breaker box, pipe/wiring, or outlets. Power supplied from generator/solar. Due to circumstances, location, restrictions, will be several years before proper solution.
Why not just use bog-standard temporary power equipment*? Much of it is available new off-the-shelf or used from rental stock. Building really sounds like a complex solution to a simple problem. (And forget the stage-centric designs, their use case is very different from yours.)

*one or two camlok->CS distribution panels and however many spider boxes are necessary; just add cable. You could probably have everything in a couple of weeks.

If nothing else, ask Trystar to price up something like what you want or see if they have an existing design.

If this is US-based, the site is a workplace, and there is insurance, you may be required to have NRTL listed equipment. Individuals pretty much cannot get those listings.

Ratfink

Occupation
Engineer
Hey Zbang,

The temporary power distro spider boxes was the first thing I looked at. I have several of these.

I would need many Spider Boxes which would look something like this...
pdu-power-distribution-stacked_500x500.png

This is not doable for several reasons. But the primary reasons are.
1. Space, which is not available.
2. Current increase in crime, & homeless drug addict thieves.
3. Due to issue #2 Not an option to leave anything of value.

The Stage centric design was meant as a reference only.

Solution needs to be mobile, on a truck, as It cannot be left at building due to constant hourly theft concerns. No, its not an exageration, yes, its really that bad.

No concerns with needing NRTL listed equipment. This is all personal private scenario.