Buying Equipment for Pulling Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
That I didn't know. Glad to see your post. I've mostly seen them in parallel, but also perpendicular. Never seen a problem. Then again, even our dumbest helpers knew to soap the wire well. We would often presoap the conduit for a longer pull. We were also careful of our 90's & tried to always plan ahead for pulling angles. I remember a 1 or 2 broken ropes from years back & conduit slipping the strut straps at the last 90, close to pull point. Our perp pulls were usually when we wedge anchored tugger to floor, straight under a pull point. Would usually do that near the panel & pull several runs from same anchor point.

Small detail, but I also found Aqua Gel much better than Yellow 77. 77 was an old favorite, but was harder to clean up later. AG cleaned up better & didn't past up when it dried. 77 pasted up & made it much harder to ever pull wires out conduit for any renovations.

We sometimes had each guy on spools lubing up his wire as it came off, just a thin layer as he played it out. Feeder would lube as it went in, for good measure. With each wire lubed all around, that accounted for any twisting or turning in the conduit, around bends, etc.

If pulling big wire in a cold environment, try to find somewhere warm to store it overnight before. A boiler room is good. Cold wire is much stiffer, makes pulling a nightmare in every possible way. If it has to be stored in a cold outside trailer, put some kind of heater in there the night before.

yeah, yellow 77 is about as much fun as contact cement trying to get old wire out of pipe. :-/

dragging a soapy rag thru the pipe before the pull when putting in the pull rope does reduce the pull force a large amount,
but getting soap on the pull rope really sucks with subsequent pulls.....

the simpull product is astounding. no soap, no drag, it just goes in effortlessly.
if you've never used it, try it next time you are pulling feeders. it'll blow your mind.
first time i used it, i soaped, cause it sounded like BS... yada yada....

it's not. the stuff is amazing. it also extends the capability of smaller tuggers.
my little 3,000# tugger is supposed to be good for 4 500mcm in a 300' pull
with 4 90's, in a 4" conduit.

pulling copper simpull, there isn't anything i wouldn't try with it, except pulling
vertical feeders up a high rise, where the weight of the wire is huge.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I haven't had a chance to see Simpull in larger wire. I love it in NM cable & have no doubt it's good for conduit. No soap needed huh? That changes the world as far as we know it. Simpull can also be ordered with pulling eyes can't it?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I haven't had a chance to see Simpull in larger wire. I love it in NM cable & have no doubt it's good for conduit. No soap needed huh? That changes the world as far as we know it. Simpull can also be ordered with pulling eyes can't it?

no soap, no joke. first time you try it, it will blow your mind. i haven't
used it in small wire.. dunno if they make it in #10 and smaller. hope so.

the other thing that changes everything with wire pulling is stainless steel
fish tapes.... that run i described earlier, with a bezillion 90's? didn't have
to use the condulets to push the fish tape in either. 200' greenlee SS
fishtape went all the way thru. they were only there for code compliance.
totally unnecessary for anything else.

i don't know anyone who offers the pulling eyes, but i think you are correct....
i just skin back a foot, leave three strands on each side, cut out the middle, fold em over,
wind one around as a serving, and tape.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
no soap, no joke. first time you try it, it will blow your mind. i haven't
used it in small wire.. dunno if they make it in #10 and smaller. hope so.

the other thing that changes everything with wire pulling is stainless steel
fish tapes.... that run i described earlier, with a bezillion 90's? didn't have
to use the condulets to push the fish tape in either. 200' greenlee SS
fishtape went all the way thru. they were only there for code compliance.
totally unnecessary for anything else.

i don't know anyone who offers the pulling eyes, but i think you are correct....
i just skin back a foot, leave three strands on each side, cut out the middle, fold em over,
wind one around as a serving, and tape.

I have seen ads in EC magazine for big wire you can order with pulling eyes factory installed. I think wire is Simpull, maybe not. Also in colors, no phasing needed. Don't have a copy handy now, will check later. Yes, cutting strands & looping is 1st way I learned to pull big wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.