C1D1 SOOW Cord Grip/Seal Off Requirements

FTM

Occupation
Controls Engineer
I have a C1D1 area with a chemical mixer. The mixer consists of a base, vertical turret, and mixing head with a belt driven XP motor. The mixing head has a long shaft with changeable prop. The turret is literally a giant hydraulic cylinder that extends to lift the mixing head assembly (motor included) up in the air about 42" in order to install and remove the temporary mixing vessel (55 gal drum or IBC tote). So, the motor driving the mixer shaft moves vertically 42" every time we mix a batch.

The current installation is using SOOW cord with a TMCX075 series cable connector on either end. Reading the literature, there is no mention of SO type cable having a listing or rating when used with this connector. It has TC, but tray cable is not the same as SO cable, and even if it was, the TC rating is Div 2 only.

Because of this, I feel the installation does not meet code, and have started looking for a suitable replacement option. What I am finding, is that nobody seems to list usage with service cable for these sealed connectors. Reading the code, it looks like I can keep the SOOW cable, and use a generic seal off fitting for rigid conduit that has the C1D1 rating, and then use a generic SO cord grip that is installed into the seal off fitting.

This is based off 501.140 (B) (4) which reads:
In Division 1 locations or in Division 2 locations where the boxes, fittings, or enclosures are required to be explosionproof, the cord shall be terminated with a cord connector or attachment plug listed for the location or a listed cord connector installed with a seal listed for the location. In Division 2 locations where explosionproof equipment is not required, the cord shall be terminated with a listed cord connector or listed attachment plug.

Can anyone out there confirm my interpretation is correct?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Nowadays, most Type TC is TC-ER-HL. See Section 501.10(1)(7). Not all, of course, so it needs to be checked. But that doesn't necessarily solve your issue.

To install for Section 501.140, one must consider 501.140(A) first; I.e., is it permitted in the first place? Assuming it is, you are correct that TMCX fittings were originally designed for Type MC cables as a termination/sealing device and later recognized as suitable [See 500.8(A)] for TC.

Personally, I would make the case that a termination suitable for Type TC would also be suitable for SOOW in this application under 500.8(A)(3).

FTM

Occupation
Controls Engineer
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I do believe it is permitted, based on 501.140(A)(4), as that essentially describes exactly what we have.

That 500.8(A) is sneaky! The "or an owner's engineering judgement" almost sounds like it is saying as long as "you" think it's OK, it is?? I checked the definitions section, owner is not defined. So is this to mean the equipment owner?

Assuming I lose the argument for suitability for the TMCX fitting and SOOW cable, was my first post correct about a normal seal off fitting and a normal corg grip being OK?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Assuming I lose the argument for suitability for the TMCX fitting and SOOW cable, was my first post correct about a normal seal off fitting and a normal cord grip being OK?
Yes

Section 90.2 states, “This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.”

At one time, engineer meant “Someone with a slide rule.” In most States it means “Someone we can legally hang for making engineering judgements.” (I.e., a PE) Owner means “Someone who is legally responsible for operational safety”. (Whether they understand it or not)

Section 500.8(A) is basically a slightly modified restatement of. FedOSHA’s definition of Acceptable.

Essentially, CMP14 recognized, especially in the HAZLOC world, most equipment is not specifically listed or labeled for classified locations and in some jurisdictions it was a nightmare during inspections.

• Love
Reactions: FTM

FTM

Occupation
Controls Engineer
Thank you very much for the response. I am a new member but have seen your responses on here for years when looking up other subjects. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.