Cable Size for 3 phase 1250A breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqeelpk

Hold on ....

Mr Charlie b said 150mm2 cable (with ampacity 310A) and you said 400mm2 cable (with ampacity 420A) needed.

What's the differece?

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

I am not sure I can give you the best solution for your particular question. The closest "standard" overcurrent device setting (per the NEC) to your situation is 1200 amps. For a 1200 amp breaker, I would use four sets of 350 MCM conductors in parallel. That gives you a total ampacity of 1240 amps. The closest metric equivalent to 350 MCM is 150 mm2. So four sets of 150 mm2 might be your answer.

Now charlie b,

According to IEC 60502 cable catalog which I had attached in previous post the total ampere capacity of 4 sets 150 mm2 equals to 1412 ampere

According to IEC 60502 catalog, I recommend him to go with 240 mm2 three sets which equals to 1392 ampere.

In this case one set will be deleted.

aqeelpk

Good, yes, now i am satisfied.

Thanks to Charlie b, Thanks to Hameedullah-Ekhlas, Thanks to Dennis Alwon. Thanks all.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
First, 1250A breaker is very standard in IEC equipment.

Second, the cable type, i.e. single core or multi-core makes a huge difference in the ampacity of the cable, and sizes available.

Third, Installation method makes a difference in current carrying capacity, i.e. direct buried, enclosed in conduit, clipped direct to wall, etc.

Fourth, derating is going to be required due to either ground temp, or air temp (depending on installation method) due to what country this is being installed in.

Fifth, what is the duration of short circuit current capability, i.e. 1 sec, 3 sec, etc. This often times increases the cable size.

Sixth, what is the length of the run, VD may be a concern.

Until this information is available, it is not possible to help in deciding what size is needed.

aqeelpk

Sorry for late coming again on the forum, i was outside my city.

Cable type is as: 3.5 core, Cu/XLPE/STA/0.6-1Kv/85 degree C rated/burried 1.5mtr under the earth inside 75mm PVC Pipes/ Short circuit capability is 3sec.

And i didn't understand the meaning of length of run and this VD.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Voltage Drop (Phase to Phase), V/A.Km = 0.212

Impedance, Ohm / Km = 0.126

let me to mention you one point that the voltage drop is not constant and it changes per load and distance. So, you have to calculate it.

Voltage drop(phase to phase): Since all impedance are per phase and we also calculate the voltage drop per phase not per line.

Hope someone else also give some information regarding to this (phase to phase) voltage drop.

saffobaba

you cannot have a 3 phase breaker and only have 110v. It is 208V, 240V or possibly 480, etc.

To supply 1250 amps you would have to parallel conductors. How many parallel runs will you have. Also look at T. 310.15.

Also 1250 amps is not a standard size breaker. Where did you get this question from.

Hi,
this gentleman is not clear about his question.I think he is talking about Medium Voltage not Lv,SO to solve his problem he has to install 3-3*core cu cables in parallel for each phase, because each 3*core cu cable can carry 400amps current.

saffobaba.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
this gentleman is not clear about his question.I think he is talking about Medium Voltage not Lv. . . .
I interpret "medium voltage" as being above 600 volts, and below 25,000 volts. We are talking about voltages well below 600. So I don't understand your statement. :confused:

saffobaba

medium voltage

medium voltage

So for your low voltage system if you have 380/220 or 220/110 Volts for acb you can use 7-1*630 cu cables ( 2 per phase and one neutral). If you have 380/220 V system for load (1250A) you need supply source of 1000KVA and if your system is 220/110 V then for your load (1250A) your supply source must be 500kva.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.