California - Electric Resistance Heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I think there is a big problem with what was said here about electric resistent heat.
I took a Title 24 class and We heard nothing about not allowing electric heat in residential. In my area you may only have the ability to have electric heat as there are no gas lines. You " may " be able to share a propane tank with a neigbor or get your own if space allows.
I don't think the code is written that way. Can someone post the code please!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I think you folks were reading from commercial and RES-high rise.
I don't think there is any issue yet about electric heat in a single family home.

That would be a major problem for areas not serviced by Gas. We do not have Natural gas here in my town and Propane is not available in every home. Propane Gas is costly to add to a home. You need a tank and space for it! , popane alarm, I can't imagine them not allow replacements or small additions.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I think you folks were reading from commercial and RES-high rise.
I don't think there is any issue yet about electric heat in a single family home.

That would be a major problem for areas not serviced by Gas. We do not have Natural gas here in my town and Propane is not available in every home. Propane Gas is costly to add to a home. You need a tank and space for it! , popane alarm, I can't imagine them not allow replacements or small additions.

I'm thinking they're not overly concerned with installation costs in new construction. They're more concerned about overall efficiency.

As far as replacement of existing systems, it looks like you can replace existing electrical resistance with electrical resistance (see below). But, once again, the term 'prescriptive compliance' crops up. When/how/why should/can/could we use the prescriptive method?

Whatever. If someone wants a small heater it will be done without a permit or done by someone else.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2008publications/CEC-400-2008-016/CEC-400-2008-016-CMF-REV1.PDF

RESIDENTIAL
COMPLIANCE
MANUAL

Page 8-27

Fuel Switching

?152(b)1C

For prescriptive compliance, new electric resistance heating systems are
prohibited in alterations unless the system being replaced is an electric resistance heating system. If the existing system is gas, propane, or LPG, then new electricresistance systems are not permitted. However, changing from a gas, propane, or LPG space heating system to an electric heat pump is allowed as long as the heat pump efficiency meets minimum efficiency standards, and the heat pump installed size is shown to result in no more TDV energy use than the standard design heat
pump using the performance method.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Got a return call from the electrical department. They confirmed what mechanical plan check told me.

This stuff is so confusing. I even to a class. The only thing in this area that came up was electric floor heating in bathrooms. From what I remember it must have a timer or setback thermostat. I'm gonna give the guy a call.
So what did the plan checker say? again.

first of all the heating requirements are for conditioned spaces only.
secondly the section quoted is for fuel switching. So if you have electric you can add electric.
What I would like to know is can you use a combo heat vent light in a gas heated home in California????

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Basically, as I understand it, if you want to add electrical resistance heating (whether spot heating in a bedroom or bathroom, auxiliary strips for a heat pump, or any type of resistance heating whatsoever) you have to submit the forms detailing the windows, floors, ceilings, insulation, etc. for the building. Then, I guess, they'll let you know whether you can install the heating outright, or tell you what you need to do to compensate (or improve the insulation) in other areas of the building in order to be granted permission for your install.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here is the Energy Commision Hotline, 1-800-772-3300. Their hours are 8-12 and 1-3 and they are closed the first three Friday's of the month due to work furlough.

They are very good at answering your energy questions.

If you are an inspector I have a seperate number that I can give you by PM.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I recently just spoke to the guy who taught the class.
He said if you have electric you can replace electric. If you build a new home you still can go with electric if you don't have gas. If you have gas you cannot switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.