Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This is a Kiln Sitter

View attachment 11224

This is the inside where the cones are placed. Those tubes (inside end showing in drawing) and the metal tabs that hold the cones were the cause of many service calls.

View attachment 11225

When the cone gets soft, the weight of the rod deforms the cone and the rod's motion trips a weighted mechanism that shuts off the power to the controls.

Real high tech. That's why I use such high tech words to describe them.

nhfire77

I fixed kilns for a few years. We re-bricked them, installed new elements (that we made) and fixed connections. I don't recall ever having to repair a NEMA plug.

I worked on Ameco, Crusader and Paragon kilns plus we built our own. Our biggest customer was the school system.

When it comes time to re-brick, the kilns have to be moved. Also, in schools, homes and pottery shops, they are moved just to move them. That's why they are cord and plug connected.

What brand kilns were you working on where there were problems with the plug and receptacle? (Just curious)

The plug was never the issue it was the receptacle. Skutt IIRC. Each time they were old and got unplugged/plugged in rarely. Also they were mounted just above the lid 12-18" away, so that didn't help with radiant heat

nhfire77

We still don't know how it came from the manufacturer. Every <12kw kiln I have ever seen, considered 'hobby kilns', has been cord and plug connected.

Commercial hard wired kilns are really electric furnaces. I worked on those as well. But I am pretty sure the OP is talking about a hobby kiln.

Yea if it comes with the plug you can use it. I recommend hard wiring with ones that are on the fringe of the 6-50p range. Generall the kiln manufacturers will allow that if you ask.

I am talking about a professional Kiln not a furnace. Its for art production on a small, custom scale. Its an in between the 'hobby' and full slide up door 'furnances'. And for the love of god dont call it a 'hobby' in front of them ;)

for example paragon Viking28 specs-

Amps
Phase
Watts
Nema
DIRECT
Breaker Size
Circuit Copper Wire Size
4 gauge

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
And for the love of god dont call it a 'hobby' in front of them ;)

:lol:

I meant hobby as in size. I worked on many of the <12kw kilns in pottery businesses. One lady I did work for was into real intricate bisque. She got (circa 1980) up to $125 a piece for some of her work. She said one reason was she had to make many attempts to get one good enough to sell. Many times they would crack or break on the last fire.

My mother was into regular pottery stuff and I'll bet she had over 100 molds. My brother may still have them somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.