Can panelboards be to let conduits pass through

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I will cite two sections from 2014 NEC then:

Remember the assembly that contains the bus bars and breakers is the panelboard and a panelboard is typically installed inside a "cabinet".

Neither of those sections address conduits inside the cabinet.

kwired

Electron manager
Neither of those sections address conduits inside the cabinet.
You have a point, but most any field installed items in there will be at least scrutinized by most inspectors especially if they exceed the 40/75% fill.

Add: and the guy that is trying to make some changes 10-20 years later is going to be saying words I can't post here:happyyes:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think it is a bad idea on many levels.

I think it is a good idea on at least two levels. :)

1. I can think of no code it violates.

2. It does not seem to introduce any hazards that would other wise not be present.

It is an unusual installation but that does not make it "wrong".

What "levels" do you see as being wrong?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If these panels feed individual owners and the individual owner owns the panel you have a issue over another persons property passing through another exclusive us and control.

Even if not how do you plan to address a future panel change out. I see it as a real problem and just because no specific code refrence is cited does not mean it is entirely practical.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Even if not how do you plan to address a future panel change out. I see it as a real problem and just because no specific code refrence is cited does not mean it is entirely practical.

Other than the fact that You'd have to cut the conduit out of the way,You'd have the same issues with a future Panel changeout if you just had the feeder conductor only passing through the panel to the next floor up.

JAP>

iwire

Staff member
I think it is a good idea on at least two levels. :)

1. I can think of no code it violates.

2. It does not seem to introduce any hazards that would other wise not be present.

It is an unusual installation but that does not make it "wrong".

What "levels" do you see as being wrong?

1) It will take up a lot of room in the panel, that is a pain.

2) It will be harder to pipe through a panel than around it in most cases.

3) They make riser panels for this type of thing. No sense re-inventing the wheel

4) Code violation or not it will draw the attention of the inspector and even if you will you have lost time.

I have run conduits through wireways when I have had to, I have run conduits inside of light poles to keep coax away from power so I no stranger to doing the unusual I just think this is more trouble than its worth. The designers need to provide room for the mechanical systems.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Other than the fact that You'd have to cut the conduit out of the way,You'd have the same issues with a future Panel changeout if you just had the feeder conductor only passing through the panel to the next floor up.

JAP>

Feeder conductor as used in a riser panel would not be seperate owners in todays US market. I belive it is against the utilities as you cannot choose your power company as you are not seperate metered. In the case where is a seperate metering of tennant or owner you should not mix different tennants conductors in the same box. Furthermore to allow a tennant the ability to tamper with the conductors is not good either.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Feeder conductor as used in a riser panel would not be seperate owners in todays US market. I belive it is against the utilities as you cannot choose your power company as you are not seperate metered. In the case where is a seperate metering of tennant or owner you should not mix different tennants conductors in the same box. Furthermore to allow a tennant the ability to tamper with the conductors is not good either.

Agreed, But i dont know that we've determined yet, that although this is a multifloor building that each floors panel is just a sub panel off of an existing MDP in the Basement or the Panel on each floor is metered seperate.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.